[Iag-list] AECURN June Newsletter

Crystal Legacy crystal.legacy at rmit.edu.au
Tue Jun 16 12:14:42 AEST 2015

Dear Colleagues,

Please find below the most recent AECURN Newsletter.

And if you haven't already done so, please sign up to our mailing list by
visiting our website to receive additional emails about forthcoming
State-based events:  http://www.aecurnonline.com/

You can also find us on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/PHDECRNetwork?fref=ts

All are welcome to join our mailing list!!

Best wishes,

Crystal

                *Welcome to another edition of the AECURN newsletter.*
We hope the first half of 2015 has been productive and successful for you
all. It has certainly been a busy time for our Network, with a range of
activities across Australia and New Zealand. Our Board has been working to
run networking events, reach out to other urban and early career research
organisations, establish new sub-groups based on research interests, and
prepare for the *December State of Australian Cities (SOAC) Conference in
the Gold Coast*.

The SOAC Conference will be a pivotal event for AECURN, as this is where we
will officially launch our Network and hold our first AGM. As you may know,
we are also co-organising the SOAC PhD Symposium and ECR Workshop (further
details are provided below). A huge thank you to our Board and especially
the Queensland Branch for their leadership in organising these two events.
If you are attending the SOAC Conference, we hope you can join us for these
great networking opportunities. Otherwise, keep in touch and we hope to see
you at an AECURN event in your home state soon!

Best wishes,

Crystal Legacy, Rachael Cole-Hawthorne and Melanie Lowe (AECURN’s National
Chairs)         AECURN'S Official Launch

AECURN will be officially launched on the first day (December 9th 2015) of
the State of Australian Cities (SOAC) Conference in the Gold Coast. We hope
to see all of you there for the celebration!
          Annual General Meeting

We will also hold our very first AGM at the SOAC Conference (date/time to
be confirmed). This will be an excellent opportunity to plan the future of
AECURN, reflect on its beginnings, and discuss future management. The new
Board for 2016-17 will be elected at this meeting, with nominations for
Board positions being called for soon. Being a Board Member is good for
developing skills and building your network, and is also a great service to
our discipline and the future of urban research. Please start thinking
about whether you would like to contribute to the network as a Board member.
        SOAC Early Career Researcher Workshop

*Are you ready to take the next step in your academic career?*

An ECR Workshop is being held prior to the main SOAC Conference, to *engage
ECRs and final year PhD students in a discussion about the kinds of
professional skills and experiences required for a successful career in
academia and professional practice*.

The early years of academia are crucial. During this time, early career
researchers are faced with the challenges of publishing high quality
research, securing competitive grants, developing networks and increase
their independence as a professional. This event offers an opportunity to
discuss how to manage these challenges with some of our most experienced
and prestigious urban researchers.

*Workshops will be conducted on the following themes:*

   1. *An overview on the main challenges and opportunities facing ECRs*
   2. *Building links with industry partners and increasing funding
   opportunities*
   3. *Establishing a research strategy*
   4. *Establishing a teaching strategy*
   5. *Strategies for managing your career*

*Please join us!*

*WHO*: All ECR and final year PhD students are welcome
*WHEN:* Tuesday 8th December 2015 1:00-4:00pm

*HOW TO REGISTER:* You can register online for the ECR workshop through the
SOAC 2015 conference registration portal at
https://leishman.eventsair.com/soac2015/soac2015/Site/Register
<http://wordpress.us8.list-manage2.com/track/click?u=c9be983feba54568e1c15312d&id=b5ae73f2c1&e=29ae1dbeb4>
or email renee at leishman-associates.com.au directly.

*HOSTED BY:* AECURN and SOAC 2015 Conference Committee
*CONTACT:*  renee at leishman-associates.com.au
                    Rachael.cole-hawthorne at griffithuni.edu.au
              Updates!

*SOAC PhD Symposium *
Co-organisation of the SOAC PhD Symposium with the SOAC Local Conference
Committee is in full stride. This year’s symposium builds on the tremendous
success of the 2013 SOAC PhD symposium with a similar format of both senior
and ECR mentors assigned to small groups of 6-8 students, each who will
give a short presentation on their PhD research with a chance for
discussion and feedback. Volunteers and mentor help is crucial for the
success of this event and AECURN would like to take this opportunity to
thank the generous support that has been provided so far by our volunteers.

*This event has attracted a lot of interest from PhD students, and is
currently fully-subscribed.  *

*AECURN Australian Planner Special Issue (Forthcoming)*
We are excited to announce that AECURN will be editing a special issue of
Australian Planner titled ‘(Re)constituting Urban Research in a Neo-liberal
Planning Climate’.  We received 42 abstracts from ECRs and PhD candidates
from across Australia and New Zealand for consideration for the issue and
we were heartened and overwhelmed by the high quality of the abstracts
submitted – a testament of the great work being undertaken by ECRs and
PhDs!  Nine abstracts were selected for the special issue (we would like to
have accepted more).  The special issue will likely be out in late 2016, so
watch this space.

*AECURN WA has been cementing its presence in Perth.*
In March the Planning and Transportation Reseach Centre (PATREC
http://www.patrec.uwa.edu.au/
<http://wordpress.us8.list-manage.com/track/click?u=c9be983feba54568e1c15312d&id=3db4678af8&e=29ae1dbeb4>)
sponsored
a seminar and networking sundowner.  Professor Sharon Bierman introduced
the centre and outlined some research opportunities open to our members.

Sun Yuchao presented fascinating research findings of his use of biology
and computer science to solve planning problems and Steve Fargo presented
his research proposal on the location of employment centres in future
development.  The event was well attended by ECRs and industry
representatives.
       AECURN Transport Subgroup

*Are you an urban transport researcher at AECURN?  Are you interested in
joining a transport subgroup?*

If yes, please fill in this short survey
https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/futuretransport
<http://wordpress.us8.list-manage.com/track/click?u=c9be983feba54568e1c15312d&id=08445b369d&e=29ae1dbeb4>to
let us know who you are and what you would like to do.

Also, there is an opportunity for us to meet in Sydney in late September
during the *Australasian Transport Research Forum (ATRF) conference*
http://www.atrf.info
<http://wordpress.us8.list-manage.com/track/click?u=c9be983feba54568e1c15312d&id=36721bdf2e&e=29ae1dbeb4>
.

Please contact Wendy Wang (UTS) *shiqiao.wang at student.uts.edu.au
<shiqiao.wang at student.uts.edu.au>* for more information about this meeting,
or if you have any questions about the transport subgroup.
              Upcoming Events   *NSW:*

The NSW branch is currently in the process of planning a *Speed Networking
Event* at UWS, with details to be confirmed shortly.

------------------------------

*VIC:*

The Victorian branch of AECURN is planning an *'Urban Research Career
Pathways' *event at the University of Melbourne on Thursday August 6th
4-5pm, followed by drinks. This will be an opportunity to learn from and
network with experienced academics from a range of urban research
disciplines. More details about the presenters and location will be sent to
Victorian members soon!

*Melbourne Sustainable Society Institute (MSSI) Event - The academic urban
consolidation debate: an analysis of the conflicting views, values and
ideologies*

*MSSI invites you to a seminar by** Dr Wouter Bervoets, an academic visitor
from the Department of Architecture of the University of Leuven travelling
on an EU AUSMIP+ Post-Doc Mobility Scholarship.*

The emergence of urban consolidation policies in the 1970’s was accompanied
by a fierce academic debate about the perils and merits. This academic
debate seems to be not merely a disagreement over data and applied research
methodologies, but also resulting from opposing personal views. Noteworthy
and in contrast with other Western countries, in Australia the strongest
defenders of the low density suburban housing model can also be found on
the left side of the political spectrum. Based on an extensive discourse
analysis of academic publications and 15 in-depth interviews with leading
academics, the research explored and mapped the academic debate focusing on
the personal values and ideologies of the involved academics.

The presentation of the preliminary research findings will focus on the
following research questions:

   - *In what way do personal views, values and ideologies influence the
   academic debate on urban consolidation **and how does the academic world
   deal with these less tangible elements?*

   - *The traditional left-right ideological opposition seems inappropriate
   to understand the Australian urban consolidation debate. What are the
   alternative **ideological fault lines that define the debate?*

   - *How could more openness about the role of personal views, values and
   ideologies in urban research contribute to the search for more sustainable
   cities?*

*When*:  1-2pm Thursday 18 June 2015
*Where*: Room 448, Level 4, Melbourne School of Design, University of
Melbourne

*Map*: http://maps.unimelb.edu.au/parkville/building/133
<http://wordpress.us8.list-manage.com/track/click?u=c9be983feba54568e1c15312d&id=24fc2de227&e=29ae1dbeb4>

*RSVP*: cdenby at unimelb.edu.au
<http://wordpress.us8.list-manage.com/track/click?u=c9be983feba54568e1c15312d&id=d20d6f36ca&e=29ae1dbeb4>

------------------------------

*WA:*

Our next events are:

   - A seminar by *Professor David Gordon* on how to do research on a
   shoestring budget, and how to promote it within the media.  This is an
   excellent opportunity to pick up some tips, share ideas and make new
   contacts.  This event will be held at the Gentilli Lecture Theatre at UWA
   on the 19th June from 4:00pm. *RSVP:*  mariana.atkins at research.uwa.edu.a
   <mariana.atkins at research.uwa.edu.au>u

   - A mid-year research presentation seminar at Curtin University on
   Wednesday 24 June at 4pm in 322 Lecture Theatre - This is a wonderful
   opportunity to test-run presentations in a supportive environment.  Send
   your abstracts to Rebecca ASAP.

 *RSVP:  *Rebecca.Scherini at curtin.edu.au

   This email was sent to crystal.legacy at rmit.edu.au
*why did I get this?*
<http://wordpress.us8.list-manage.com/about?u=c9be983feba54568e1c15312d&id=11e1a269d2&e=29ae1dbeb4&c=3ba27ebd0b>
    unsubscribe from this list
<http://wordpress.us8.list-manage1.com/unsubscribe?u=c9be983feba54568e1c15312d&id=11e1a269d2&e=29ae1dbeb4&c=3ba27ebd0b>
    update subscription preferences
<http://wordpress.us8.list-manage.com/profile?u=c9be983feba54568e1c15312d&id=11e1a269d2&e=29ae1dbeb4>
AECURN · Australia · Melbourne, Vic 3000 · Australia

[image: Email Marketing Powered by MailChimp]
<http://www.mailchimp.com/monkey-rewards/?utm_source=freemium_newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=monkey_rewards&aid=c9be983feba54568e1c15312d&afl=1>