[Iag-list] Update on Editor-in-Chief for Geographical Research

Lisel O'Dwyer lisel.odwyer at flinders.edu.au
Tue Sep 22 23:09:21 AEST 2015

Dear Geography Colleagues and Friends,

It is with considerable regret that I have to inform you that Distinguished Professor Iain Hay (Flinders University) has decided to not renew his extended 2-year tenure as Editor-in-Chief (EiC) of our flagship journal - Geographical Research.  His current tenure ends with issue 4 of the journal to be published in November this year.  Iain will provide a reflection of his time as EiC in the editorial of that edition, and there will also be some further reflections of Iain's achievements in our December newsletter.

Iain Hay has provided distinguished service to the IAG through numerous roles over the past two decades, and he has undertaken a fantastic job overseeing the management and editing of our journal.  Iain now feels it's time to step aside and to let someone else bring their fresh ideas and energy to the journal, and to allow him time to continue with other scholarly and service activities for the discipline - notably his demanding position as one of the Vice-Presidents of the International Geographical Union.  We all wish Iain the very best in his various endeavours in the future.

Without pre-empting Iain's final editorial ("I'll be back!"), we can thank Iain for reconstituting the Editorial Board to better reflect the discipline in Australia and with a greater focus on Antipodean perspectives to stake our claim in the global sphere.  We have also seen many Australian scholars contributions through special issues and a number of other initiatives, such as primary access data through the journal website.  Like all of us, Iain is very grateful to his fabulous editorial team - Amanda Davies (Curtin University), Brian Finlayson (University of Melbourne) and Wayne Stephenson (University of Otago) for their hard work and collegiality.  We should also acknowledge our very capable editorial assistant - Kirstie Petrou - for her contributions to the smooth running of the editorial office. I am pleased to say that all these fine geographers will continue in their various roles.

So while we say goodbye and give thanks to Iain as our retiring Editor-in-Chief, we may now officially welcome our new Editor-in-Chief - Associate Professor Elaine Stratford (University of Tasmania). Elaine comes to the position with many years of distinguished service to Australian geography and the Institute, and has all the skills and capabilities for the EiC role.  Elaine has served as a past Council member and Honorary Treasurer of the institute and has a strong scholarly research record to bring the role.

On behalf of the EiC selection committee, please join us in welcoming and congratulating Professor Elaine Stratford as the incoming Editor-in-Chief of Geographical Research!

Best wishes,

Steve

Stephen M. Turton, PhD
Professor of Environmental Geography
Deputy Associate Dean Research Education
Environment, Geography & Sustainability Group
College of Marine & Environmental Sciences
Centre for Tropical Environmental & Sustainability Science
James Cook University
PO Box 6811
Cairns, QLD 4870
Australia

Building A2, Room 216

Ph: (int.) +61 7 42321292
Email: steve.turton at jcu.edu.au<mailto:steve.turton at jcu.edu.au>

More info:
https://research.jcu.edu.au/research/tess/people/staff/Turton_S

President, Institute of Australian Geographers
Immediate Past President, Australian Council of Environmental Deans and Directors
Observer, National Committee for Geographical Sciences, Australian Academy of Science

[X]