[Iag-list] Housing Theory and Society Special Issue Call for Papers

Libby Porter libby.porter at rmit.edu.au
Tue Oct 20 12:53:30 AEDT 2015

*Housing Theory and Society*

*Special Issue Call for Papers*

*Theme:*

‘Resilience’ in housing theory and research: Meme, ruse, camouflage or
concept?

*Guest Editors:*

Libby Porter (RMIT), Wendy Stone (Swinburne University), and Wendy Steele
(RMIT)

*Call for Papers*

This special issue will seek to shape how a housing theory / studies
interest in resilience might productively unfold. Given the critical
debates and perspectives already developed around the notion of
‘resilience’, this is a call for papers that explicitly engage with the
possibilities and pitfalls of this contested term for housing studies. A
critically informed, multi-disciplinary, and multi-scalar interrogation of
‘resilience for housing theory’ is timely and addresses a current gap in
the housing studies literature.

Perhaps the buzzword of our times, ‘resilience’ has captured the
intellectual imagination of many and the critical ire of others across a
range of disciplinary fields. As yet, however, there has been little
explicit critical engagement with the term ‘resilience’ for the housing
field. Given the role that housing plays as a key node in the social
network linking everyday lives, states, societies, cities, and environments
there suggests there may be real insights to be drawn from an approach to
housing theory that takes resilience seriously, but critically. Key
questions underpinning this special issue include:

·         How is resilience thinking deployed within housing theory and
practice and what are the opportunities and challenges inherent in this?

·         How does resilience work to redress and/or reinforce existing
housing fault lines, institutional and governance regimes, or
socio-spatial/environmental inequities; and

·         In what ways does resilience thinking provide opportunities for a
more progressive housing politics?

*Submission Process:*

The editors welcome contributions from social science scholars researching
in or around the areas set out above. The call is open to academics from
all social science disciplines (i.e. sociology, economics, geography and
anthropology as well as political and policy sciences).

All abstracts for proposed papers should be submitted by *Friday
27th November* to the guest editors via Libby Porter (
libby.porter at rmit.edu.au).

The deadline for full paper submission is *26th February 2016*
Please feel free to circulate to your networks

--

*Associate Professor and VC's Principal Research Fellow*
*Centre for Urban Research*

*I acknowledge the Wurundjeri people as the traditional owners of the land
on which RMIT University stands, and I respectfully recognise Elders past,
present and future*

*Things I'm interested in that you might be too:*
*Planning Theory and Practice* -
https://sites.google.com/site/planningtheoryandpractice/home
*INURA* - www.inura.org
*Planners Network* - www.plannersnetwork.org and *Planners Network UK *-