[Iag-list] Call for participation in Critical Development Studies online/face-to-face symposium. 15-16 Feb, 2016

Sarah Wright sarah.wright at newcastle.edu.au
Mon Dec 7 12:27:46 AEDT 2015

Call for participation in Critical Development Studies online/face-to-face symposium.

15-16 Feb, 2016. 11:30-4:30pm (EST)/8:30-1:30 (W.A./the Philippines).

The Critical Development Study group of the IAG is organising an online/face-to-face symposium 15-16 Feb, 2016 [11:30-4:30pm (EST)], organised with nodes in different locations who will convene online.

The symposium will have break out sessions organised within the same node (so node members have some time working face to face) and some organized thematically (so people in different places join up electronically to discuss or work on some issue). We would then have some ‘plenary’ discussion where we are all together online.

We’d love to have some strong input from post-grads as well as people who aren’t based in Australia. We’re hoping the format will prove inclusive and cut down on carbon emissions. This is, however, our first effort at such a decentralized structure so please bear with us.

The symposium will have break-out sessions including sessions on: community engagement/activism, pedagogy, more-than-human development, cities as places of development and displacement, the sustainable development goals, and, surveillance and policing in the everyday. The sessions will be a mix of discussions around themes, workshops to collaboratively prepare outputs and sessions seeking input on draft papers. Some ‘Open Space’ sessions will be open to respond to issues raised within the symposium itself.

The workshop will run 11:30-4:30pm (EST)/8:30-1:30 (W.A./the Philippines), 15-16 Feb, 2016.

If you are interested in participating, please contact your local node organizer listed below (or if you are in a place without a node and would like to organize one, contact Paul Hodge Paul.hodge at newcastle.edu.au <mailto:Paul.hodge at newcastle.edu.au> or Sarah Wright sarah.wright at newcastle.edu.au <mailto:sarah.wright at newcastle.edu.au> ).

 Nodes and node organisers:

Wollongong (University of Wollongong) – Thomas Birtchnell: tbirtchn at uow.edu.au <mailto:tbirtchn at uow.edu.au>
Melbourne (La Trobe, Collins St Campus) – Katherine McKinnon: K.McKinnon at latrobe.edu.au <mailto:K.McKinnon at latrobe.edu.au>
Manila (UP) - Joseph Palis: josephpalis at gmail.com <mailto:josephpalis at gmail.com> or Kristian Saguin: kristiansaguin at gmail.com <mailto:kristiansaguin at gmail.com>
Cairns (James Cook Uni) – Lisa Law: lisa.law at jcu.edu.au <mailto:lisa.law at jcu.edu.au>
Perth (University of WA/Curtin/Murdoch) – Petra Tschakert: petra.tschakert at uwa.edu.au <mailto:petra.tschakert at uwa.edu.au> and Alka Sabharwal: 20486356 at student.uwa.edu.au
Newcastle (UON) – Paul: Paul.Hodge at newcastle.edu.au <mailto:Paul.Hodge at newcastle.edu.au>
Canberra (ANU) -  Grant Walton: grant.walton at anu.edu.au <mailto:grant.walton at anu.edu.au> and Tim Sharp: timothylmsharp at gmail.com <mailto:timothylmsharp at gmail.com>.
All the best and have a lovely summer break,

Sarah and Paul

SARAH WRIGHT
Associate Professor
Discipline of Geography and Environmental Studies
School of Environmental and Life Sciences

I acknowledge the Aboriginal custodians of the land in the region where I live and work, the Gumbaynggirr people and the traditional custodians of Awabakal Country, the Country on which the University of Newcastle stands. I acknowledge the Elders, past, present and future, and Country itself.

Yaarri garla-ngarraangala, yaarri junga-ngarraangala, jalumgalnyarr yilaa gungangulam jagunda. Yaarri junga-ngarraangala guuyubiin, walaaynga giili.

T: +61 2 4921 7157
E: sarah.wright at newcastle.edu.au

The University of Newcastle (UoN)
University Drive