[Iag-list] Call for Papers: Decolonising the City, IAG 2016

Libby Porter libby.porter at rmit.edu.au
Fri Feb 26 14:37:53 AEDT 2016

Decolonising the City
Study Group alignment: Urban Geography and Indigenous Peoples and Knowledges
Session Organisers: Libby Porter and Louise CrabtreeCities are
intrinsically important to colonial processes and power relations. They are
home to key sites of imperial power, they spatially concentrate processes
of colonial dispossession and disavowal, they reorganize and reconstitute
changing postcolonial social relations, and present new opportunities for
anticolonial resistance and resurgence. Understanding urban process as
bound up in the changing dimensions of imperial and colonial domination is
therefore crucial, and yet often overlooked.

This session examines the diverse ways the city is actively engaged in the
production and shaping of colonial relations both in historical and
contemporary terms. The session will attract papers from a range of
colonial and postcolonial contexts globally and particularly encourages
Australian urban scholars to engage with questions of colonialism and
decolonization. The focus of the session will be on the theoretical,
methodological and practical dimensions of forging a decolonizing ethics
for urban geographical knowledge and practice.

Please submit your abstract via the Conference website: IAG 2016 Conference
sessions
<https://kaigi.eventsair.com/QuickEventWebsitePortal/iag-2016/info/ExtraContent/ContentPage2>
nominating
this session for your paper.

Queries to Libby Porter (libby.porter at rmit.edu.au) or Louise Crabtree (
l.crabtree at westernsydney.edu.au)

--

*Associate Professor and VC's Principal Research Fellow*
*Centre for Urban Research*

*I acknowledge the Wurundjeri people as the traditional owners of the land
on which RMIT University stands, and I respectfully recognise Elders past,
present and future*

*Things I'm interested in that you might be too:*
*Planning Theory and Practice* -
https://sites.google.com/site/planningtheoryandpractice/home
*INURA* - www.inura.org
*Planners Network* - www.plannersnetwork.org and *Planners Network UK *-