[Iag-list] CFP - Australian Planner - special issue on Women and Planning

Lisel O'Dwyer lisel.odwyer at flinders.edu.au
Fri Apr 15 14:37:29 AEST 2016

On behalf of the editorial team for this special issue on Women and Planning, you are invited to submit a paper for publication in Australian Planner to be published on International Women's Day 2017 (see Call for Papers attached and copied below).

Call for papers

Australian Planner
Special issue: Women and Planning

Guest editors:

Caryl Bosman (Griffith University) Kylie Legge (Place Partners)

Natalie Osborne (Griffith University) & Deanna Grant-Smith (QUT)
In 1993 a Women in Planning conference was held in Adelaide which highlighted the need to change the masculine bias of the planning discipline. Despite the passing of more than two decades since this conference, planning education and practice has yet to effectively mainstream consideration of the needs of marginalised groups, particularly women, and has rarely grappled with intersectionality as a fundamental planning concern. In 2013 two important edited collections on gender, justice and cities were published, highlighting the ongoing gendered gap in planning, invited the next generation of planning practitioners, scholars, and educators to take on the challenge of gender equity and intersectionality in their practice. This special issue takes up this call and welcomes academic and practice papers which engage with the idea of women and planning.
All papers should have a well-developed theoretical argument that is supported, as appropriate, by a rigorous substantive analysis. Papers should not exceed 6000 words inclusive of all references; shorter papers (minimum 2000 words) are welcomed. All papers will be double-blind peer reviewed.
Papers can be from the perspective of planning and women, planning for women, or planning by women. Wider perspectives regarding professional equity, diversity and urban equality are also sought. Possible topics include and are NOT limited to:

•       The need for planning approaches which recognise the needs of women and minority groups

•       Issues faced by women working as planners, planning academics or studying to become planners

•       Can urban environments be created to meet the needs of diverse demographic groups?

•       Learning from women leaders

•       Is planning education gendered?

•       How would/does gender in the practice of planning impact the built environment?

•       Is laissez-faire neo-liberalism a means of achieving gender equality in the profession and in planning outcomes?

•       Should feminism be taught as a planning methodology? Can its principles serve as a useful design tool for interpreting and responding to the needs of both women and broader society in planning?
Full papers must be submitted by 01 July 2016. This special issue will be released on International Women’s Day 2017. Successful authors will be invited to revise their papers, based on reviewers’ reports, in August 2016 with final papers due no later than 30 November 2016.
Papers should be submitted through the journal’s online submission system and indicate that they are for consideration in this special issue. Author guidelines can be found at the Australian Planner website:
http://www.tandfonline.com/action/authorSubmission?journalCode=rapl20&page=instructions#.VwHqs0ZGST0

Please email your intention to submit with a brief abstract (150 words) by 30 April 2016 to Caryl Bosman (c.bosman at griffith.edu.au)<mailto:c.bosman at griffith.edu.au%29>

For further information and enquiries, please contact Caryl Bosman in the first instance.

--

I hope the issue with the listserv doesn't consume too much of your time!

Kind regards,

Natalie

Natalie Osborne

BUEP (Hons), PhD