[Iag-list] AECURN Newsletter Mid Year 2016 (Australasian Early Career Urban Research Network)

Rachael Cole-Hawthorne rachael.cole-hawthorne at griffithuni.edu.au
Wed Jun 1 07:17:50 AEST 2016

*Apologies for Cross-posting*

View this email in your browser
<http://us8.campaign-archive1.com/?u=c9be983feba54568e1c15312d&id=ae1be7e63d&e=c57ca4dfc6>
AECURN Newsletter May 2016 *Welcome members and volunteers!*
For all of us in the AECURN community we started 2016 on a high note!  We
officially launched AECURN at the  2015 State of Australian Cities
Conference in the Gold Coast. This was followed by the release of the first
AECURN Special Issue published in *Australian Planner*.  At the launch we
were able to showcase the impressive energy and commitment of the  AECURNs
volunteers and members to promote and support ECRs across Australia and New
Zealand. We thank all those involved in the past two years, with a very
special thanks to the 2013-2015 Board for their hard work and dedication.
It was worth it!

*Below are just a few of the recent highlights since our last Newsletter:*
The release of the first AECURN Special Issue for the journal Australian
Planner on *(Re)constituting urban research in a neoliberal planning
climate* showcases the ways early career researchers are pushing the
boundaries of urban research. The editorial team consisted of 2014/15 board
members, and the edition features work from Joe Hurley, Elizabeth Jean
Taylor, Ian Woodcock, Hayley Henderson, Laura Schatz, Dallas Rogers, Deanna
Grant-Smith, Natalie Osborne, Edward Morgan and Rachael Cole-Hawthorne.
Crystal Legacy, Melanie Lowe and Rachael Cole-Hawthorne introduce the issue
by illuminating the challenge of negotiating the research-practice nexus
within a  political climate that ECR’s in Australian and New Zealand must
navigate. The issue is rounded out with an epilogue from Professor Jean
Hillier. Congratulations to the editorial team and authors on this
fantastic achievement!
<http://wordpress.us8.list-manage2.com/track/click?u=c9be983feba54568e1c15312d&id=bc666eb9c5&e=c57ca4dfc6>

The 2015 SOAC conference was also a great opportunity for AECURN members to
meet and it was fantastic to see the work of so many ECRs and PhDs featured
in both the themed and keynote sessions throughout the conference.  One of
the memorable highlights for many was the three-day PhD symposium and ECR
workshop organized by Queensland AECURN as a dedicated event to support
ECRs and PhDs in today’s academic sphere. The event was supported by a
cracking team of senior and ECR mentors from around Australia and New
Zealand. A special thank you to Rachael Cole–Hawthorne, Paul Burton and
Tony Matthews for putting together such a successful event! The next
symposium will be held in Adelaide at the next State of Australian Cities
conference in 2017.

AECURN's first Annual General Meeting was hosted during the SOAC
conference. At the meeting we said goodbye to many of the inaugural chairs
as well as welcomed our new board for 2016-2017. The AGM was also an
opportunity for members to reflect on AECURN's past two years and discuss
future directions and possibilities. AECURN will be focusing on building on
the strong foundations developed by previous volunteers and members.

Today AECURN is active across all the Australian States and New Zealand
with a membership base of over 270 and 2016 marks the start of another
phase. Earlier this year we welcomed Erika Altman from the University of
Tasmania as the Tasmanian Representative on the Board. Welcome Erika! You
can follow @aecurn on twitter and check out our Facebook
<http://wordpress.us8.list-manage1.com/track/click?u=c9be983feba54568e1c15312d&id=586cdbedf7&e=c57ca4dfc6>
page and our website
<http://wordpress.us8.list-manage2.com/track/click?u=c9be983feba54568e1c15312d&id=0302271045&e=c57ca4dfc6>
for event information and updates.

Thank you to everyone who has supported AECURN over the past two years!

We look forward to seeing you at the next event! And if you have any ideas
for future activities, please contact us!

Rachael Cole-Hawthorne, Jennifer Witheridge, Elizabeth Adamczyk
UPCOMING EVENTS
*AECURN MEETING IN IAG- COME JOIN!*

This year's Institute of Australian Geographers Conference is in Adelaide.
Jasmine Palmer, our South Australian AECURN representative is organizing an
AECURN social event on Wednesday 29th June 2016 from 7pm at City East
campus.  Please see the events Facebook page RSVP or email:
anna.leditschke at mymail.unisa.edu.au.
NATIONAL UPDATES
*AECURN IN TASMANIA*

We are currently working with Erika Altmann and Dr Kate Booth from
University of Tasmania to establish AECURN in Tassie! If you are a UTS ECR
and would like to get involved, get in touch and please email Erika on:
erika.altmann at utas.edu.au.
*NEW CITIES SUB-GROUP*

AECURN has a new Cities sub-group! Encompassing a broad range of
theoretical and practical perspectives on cities including global,
creative, smart and resilient cities, group members can get together and
share academic expertise and resources. Please get in touch with
fiona.gray at deakin.edu.au if you are interested to join.
*NEW HOUSING SUB-GROUP*

AECURN has a new Housing sub-group! If you are a researcher that is
interested in or is researching housing related issues, please get in touch
with Kate Raynor: k.raynor at qut.edu.au.
STATE UPDATES
*New Zealand Update*

Following the AECURN AGM meeting on December 2015, new members have
actively joined the New Zealand branch of AECURN. The New Zealand branch of
AECURN is organising an event to engage ECRs and PhD candidates in a
discussion about "becoming a successful urban researcher in/from New
Zealand". The event will take place at the University of Auckland (School
of Planning and Architecture) on 9th or 10th of June. The event will
include short research presentations from ECRs, and then we will have a
panel discussion. We aim to provide an opportunity to learn from
participants' experiences from different areas including geography, urban
planning and design as well as from practice in particular from the
Auckland Council. This will be an opportunity to discuss what factors
constitute 'success' for an urban researcher or ideally what should
constitute a successful urban researcher. (More details about the
presenters, location, and the timing of the event will be sent to the
members).
*Western Australia Update*

AECURN WA hosted their first event of the year on the 8th April with a
presentation by Professor Petra Tshakert entitled 'Making Research Happen'.
Petra spoke engagingly about research collaboration, setting up research
projects, securing funds and managing research projects.  The event was
well attended and offered an excellent opportunity not only to learn about
Petra's experiences as a leading climate change researcher, but also to
network with people from various disciplines and discuss how to carry out
cross-disciplinary research. The event was co-sponsored by DEETalks, the
UWA Earth and Environment Seminar Series.  The next seminar in June is open
to AECURN members to present their research. Later in the year Curtin
University will host an event - details to follow.
*Queensland Update*

Last year’s Queensland Branch was responsible for much of the organisation
of the SOAC PhD Symposium, and we are looking to build on those efforts
this year. The Queensland Branch had its first social meet up on Friday 8th
April, which was well attended. Ideas for future events were put forward.
Currently we are looking to organise a day-long symposium later in the
year. This will give members the opportunity to present their work and have
some discussion. The plan is to have 10 minute presentations so we can
focus on the discussion. The afternoon might involve some workshops or an
opportunity for the interest groups to get together. Other events planned
include a possible speed networking evening. Next up in the social calendar
will be a ‘Trivia Night’. The best events are those that members want – we
are here to arrange things for you. So please get in touch if you have
ideas for things you’d like to do. Please contact Ed Morgan (
ed.morgan at griffith.edu.au ) and Nigel Cartlidge (nigel_cartlidge at mac.com).

*Victoria Update*

In February, AECURN Victoria held a Research and Practice event. The
research showcase provided a forum for PhD’s and ECR’s to present their
research to a friendly audience, speakers discussed their work in transport
planning, social planning, sustainable design, urban sound installations,
disaster recovery and urban ecosystems. The research showcase was followed
by a panel discussion on professional practice outside academia. Panellists
shared their career pathways, how their careers benefited from their
academic backgrounds and how they integrate research into their work. The
event was supported by the Melbourne Sustainable Society Institute’s Future
Cities Research Cluster & RMIT University’s Centre for Urban Research. Let
us know about any ideas or events you’d like to see happen, and how we can
support you to run an event. This year we’re keen to organise an event in
regional Victoria to support our non-Melbourne based members. Please
contact Fiona (Fiona.gray at deakin.edu.au) and Jennifer (
jwitheridge at swin.edu.au).

This email was sent to rachael.cole-hawthorne at griffithuni.edu.au
*why did I get this?*
<http://wordpress.us8.list-manage.com/about?u=c9be983feba54568e1c15312d&id=11e1a269d2&e=c57ca4dfc6&c=ae1be7e63d>
    unsubscribe from this list
<http://wordpress.us8.list-manage.com/unsubscribe?u=c9be983feba54568e1c15312d&id=11e1a269d2&e=c57ca4dfc6&c=ae1be7e63d>
    update subscription preferences
<http://wordpress.us8.list-manage.com/profile?u=c9be983feba54568e1c15312d&id=11e1a269d2&e=c57ca4dfc6>
AECURN · Australia · Melbourne, Vic 3000 · Australia

[image: Email Marketing Powered by MailChimp]
<http://www.mailchimp.com/monkey-rewards/?utm_source=freemium_newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=monkey_rewards&aid=c9be983feba54568e1c15312d&afl=1>

--

*PhD Candidate *Urban Research Program
Griffith University,