[Iag-list] FW: Trends and directions in environmental justice: from inequity to everyday life, community, and just sustainabilities

Simon P J Batterbury simonpjb at unimelb.edu.au
Thu Oct 27 10:46:05 AEDT 2016

From: Agyeman, Julian [mailto:Julian.Agyeman at TUFTS.EDU]
Sent: Thursday, 27 October 2016 6:35 AM
Subject: Trends and directions in environmental justice: from inequity to everyday life, community, and just sustainabilities

Colleagues,

You can now download for free David Schlosberg, Luke Craven, Caitlin Matthews and my review article “Trends and directions in environmental justice: from inequity to everyday life, community, and just sustainabilities<http://arjournals.annualreviews.org/eprint/gHZemmwv7P8q4JD4Q5WN/full/10.1146/annurev-environ-110615-090052>”
(Annu. Rev. Environ. Resour. 2016. 41:321–40):

Abstract

This article begins with a review and synthesis of some of the key theories, scholars, case examples, debates, methods, and (multiple) interpretations of environmental justice (EJ), as well as its expansion and globalization. We then look to some newly emerging themes, actions, and strategies for EJ and just sustainabilities. First, we look at the practices and materials of everyday life, illustrated by food and energy movements; second, the ongoing work on community and the importance of identity and attachment, informed by urban planning, food, and climate concerns; third, the growing interest in the relationship between human practices and communities and nonhuman nature. We also expand on the longstanding interest in just sustainabilities within this movement, illustrated by a wide range of concerns with food, energy, and climate justice. These new areas of work illustrate both recent developments and a set of paths forward for both the theory and practice of EJ.

Julian

Professor Julian Agyeman PhD FRSA FRGS
UEP Tufts University
97 Talbot Avenue