[Iag-list] Rural population geography/demography session at the 2017 ESRS conference, Krakow.

Neil Argent nargent at une.edu.au
Wed Dec 14 13:57:08 AEDT 2016

Hello fellow geographers

David Brown, Dudley Poston and I are organising a population
geography/demographic working group for next year’s European Society for
Rural Sociology Congress that will be held in Krakow, Poland during July
24-27. The congress web address  is http://www.esrs2017.confer.uj.edu.pl/.
We encourage interested members to submit abstracts to our Working Group.
The ESRS conference has an overall theme, “Uneven Processes of Rural
Change” that is articulated via plenary sessions, but the bulk of the
congress is comprised of working groups built around particular issues and
areas of study.  Depending on how many papers are submitted, the various
WGs are typically allocated 3-5 sessions on the program. In other words,
our WG will be like a mini population conference within the larger
programme. In addition, the conference has a lot of social events and
excursions that come with the registration fee, and Krakow is a really
beautiful and interesting city.

Abstracts should be sent directly to David Brown by 20th December. David's
email address is: dlb17 at cornell.edu

The session is described below:

Title:  Population Change, Economic Transformations, Environment and Rural
Community Well Being

Conveners: Neil Argent, University of new England, Australia; David L.
Brown, Cornell University, USA; Dudley Poston, Texas A&M University, USA.

Objectives: To examine the interrelationships between population change and
local community well- being. A second objective is to
examine the relationships between population change and changes in the
natural environment.

Topic of the WG: This working group will examine the determinants and
consequences of rural population change. The main focus will be on how
changes in population size, structure, socio-demographic composition, and
spatial distribution affect and are affected by community well-being as
indicated by such factors as inequality, poverty, un-  and underemployment,
economic restructuring, etc. We also encourage scholars to submit papers
focusing on population-environment interrelationships (by which we include
changes in resource-based industries such as mining as well as climate
change.  Since we are interested in examining the interrelationships
between population change and community, we propose to examine how
community well-being and environmental change affects population dynamics,
and vice versa. We are hoping that scholars from a wide range of nations
will participate so that we can examine how population-society
relationships might be affected by the nations in which they occur.

Format: The format will be standard paper sessions with discussants. Papers
will have to be submitted at least two weeks prior to the conference so
that the discussant has ample time to prepare helpful remarks. We may also
organize a panel discussion of the impacts of population change,
environmental change and rural society and economy.

--

*Neil Argent*

BA (Hons. I), PhD (Adelaide)

Professor of Human Geography