[Iag-list] #J18 Teach.Organize.Resist event in Melbourne: Living in the Age of Rage

Libby Porter libby.porter at rmit.edu.au
Mon Dec 19 13:08:39 AEDT 2016

Apologies for x-postings, all welcome to this event if you're in Melbourne.

*Living in the age of rage*
January 18 2017, 4 - 6pm
The Lincoln hotel
91 Cardigan St, Carlton

If the 'post-truth' moment in which we find ourselves is now the new
normal, then it seems to have been born of rage. As Christos Tsiolkas
recently observed so eloquently in *The Monthly,* rage is not only
festering but screeching across the political spectrum of whatever left and
right used to be: "everyone is so fucking angry". And we're angry, Tsiolkas
suggests, in a way that means we can barely hear each other much less
listen, cast as "morality disguised as politics...in language redolent of
sin and shaming, certainty and righteousness". Yet at the same time it's
clear that 'consensus' politics, if such a thing ever actually existed, was
stultifying in its mediocrity and liberal privilege. As an antidote to
that, rage doesn't seem such a bad one, as many critical thinkers have
suggested. How, then, are we to live in the age of rage productively? What
kind of a politics does rage proffer or shut down, inspire or shame? Is
rage helpful for broad agendas of social and ecological justice? For
creating meaningful livelihoods, work that's sustaining and fulfilling? For
reorganising social goods and services in the service of those most in
need?

Our purpose in this event is to open a space for conversation which allows
us to speak together about this global moment. In doing so, we refuse to
capitulate - not to the conceit of consensus or the heat of righteousness.
The people organising this event are all based at the Centre for Urban
Research, RMIT University with the Critical Urban Governance Program
http://cur.org.au/research-programs/critical-urban-governance/.

We stand in solidarity with, and inspired by, the Teach.Organize.Resist J18
movement emerging out of the US: http://teachorganizeresist.net/

Come and join us for conversation, debate, solidarity.

--

*Associate Professor and VC's Principal Research Fellow*
*Centre for Urban Research*

*I respectfully acknowledge the Elders past, present and future of the
Kulin Nations, **on whose stolen lands I live and work. *

*Latest book (hotlink): Planning for Co-existence? Recognizing Indigenous
rights through land-use planning in Canada and Australia
<https://www.routledge.com/Planning-for-Coexistence-Recognizing-Indigenous-rights-through-land-use/Porter-Barry/p/book/9781409470779>*

*Things I'm interested in that you might be too:*
Planning Theory and Practice -
https://sites.google.com/site/planningtheoryandpractice/home
INURA - www.inura.org
Planners Network - www.plannersnetwork.org and Planners Network UK -