[Iag-list] Position in Agrarian Sociology, Netherlands

Lisel O'Dwyer l.odwyer at cqu.edu.au
Mon Jan 30 12:15:58 AEDT 2017

Vacancy
Associate or full (personal) Professor in Agrarian Sociology (Tenure Track)
Respond
Click here to respond
We are looking for An associate or full professor in agrarian sociology, with demonstrated excellence in research and education in the domain of agrarian and rural sociology. You will undertake independent research and participate in (and coordinate) international research projects, focusing on topics such as agricultural and rural development, rural-urban transformation processes, transitions towards regenerative agriculture, and the role of (multifunctional) agriculture in rural eco-economies.
You will teach courses for the Bachelor and Master programs International Development Studies and the Master program Organic Agriculture, and supervise Bachelor and Master thesis students for these programs.
Other aspects of the job include project acquisition, training and supervision of PhD students and participation in various research and/or education committees.
At least 40% of your time will be spent on research, a maximum of 40% on education and approximately 20% on other aspects.
Starting date: September 1, 2017
We ask
 A PhD degree in (agrarian or rural) sociology, human geography or related social science discipline;
 An inspiring vision on agrarian sociology and the future challenges and priorities for agrarian studies;
 An excellent track record in research in agrarian/rural sociology, proven by publications in key international journals and by the successful acquisition of research grants;
 A relevant international academic network, combined with good connections with grassroots networks and policymakers (at different levels);
 Ample empirical research experience, preferably in different settings;
 Proven experience in supervision of PhD candidates;
 Excellent didactic qualities and the capacity to motivate and inspire students;
 Teaching competences that comply with the Learning and Teaching in Higher Education Program (LTHEP, in Dutch referred to as BKO, a system adopted by all Dutch universities) or willingness to follow the LTHEP;
 Excellent writing skills;
 Fluency in English and, if appropriate, willingness to learn Dutch.
We offer A challenging career trajectory called Tenure Track. From the position of Associate Professor you can grow into the position of a Professor holding a Personal Chair in six years. Of course training and coaching are provided and interdisciplinary (international) cooperation is stimulated. You will also be given the chance to build up your own research line. In case of outstanding qualities and experiences in research, education and academic leadership you may qualify directly for a position of personal Professor. We offer you a temporary contract for six years (0.8 – 1.0 fte), which can lead to a permanent employment contract.
Gross salary ranges from € 66,000 up to € 88,600 per year (Scale 13-14 CAO Dutch Universities) including end of year bonus and holiday allowance, based on full time (1,0 fte) employment and dependent on expertise and experience. For more information about Tenure Track within Wageningen UR look at Tenure Track Information
We are
About the Rural Sociology Group Central to the research program of the Rural Sociology is a relational and place-based approach to transformation processes, explored from the perspective of the everyday life of people, and with a focus on food provisioning, territorial development and reconstructing rurality. These processes are studied from an interpretative/constructivist and predominantly micro-sociological perspective. However, we actively engage in interdisciplinary, multi-method and multi-stakeholder approaches. A common denominator in our research is the focus on actors, agency, institutionalization of practices and differential development paths.
Our mission is to contribute to the development of sustainable and socially acceptable modes of food provisioning, which foster social justice and rural resilience. Through our research we attempt to un-familiarize the familiar and undertake critical analyses, but, importantly, also be transformative by engaging in the exploration of new practices and by showing a diversity of credible options beyond dominant understandings and constellations. A key characteristic of our research program is its threefold relevance: it should contribute to the scientific development of our field and scientific discipline(s), inform policymaking and provide support for practitioners. The Rural Sociology Group is embedded in the sub-department Sociology and Anthropology of Development (SADE), together with the Sociology of Development and Change group. Within SADE the two groups share administrative support and collaborate in education, PhD supervision and several research projects. Recently both groups joined forces with the Cultural Geography group by setting up the Centre for Space, Place and Society (CSPS), which aims to advance critical-constructive scholarship within the social sciences with a particular focus on issues of socio-spatial inequalities and social and environmental justice.
Additional information Additional enquiries should be addressed to the chair of the Rural Sociology group, Prof. dr. Han Wiskerke (Telephone number: +31 (0)317 482679 / 484507; E-mail address: han.wiskerke at wur.nl) Information about Wageningen University, the Rural Sociology Group, the sub-department SADE and CSPS can be obtained through one of the following links.
 Wageningen University
 Rural Sociology group
 Rural Sociology’s weblog
 Sub-department Sociology and Anthropology of Development (SADE)
 Centre for Space, Place and Society (CSPS)
Application To apply, please upload the following via our online application button on the Wageningen UR vacancies webpage (http://www.wur.nl/en/Jobs/Vacancies.htm) before February 8 2017:
 Letter of motivation
 CV, including a list of publications
 Names and contact details of two referees
 One selected publication
 Teaching evaluations
 Statement on your research vision of the advertised position within the research themes of the chair group (1000 words max).
You will receive an automatic e-mail confirmation within 24 hours. Please note that only applications sent through the online application button can be taken into consideration. Job interviews will be held on 20, 21 or 22 February 2017. A second interview including a (public) lecture will be held on 9 or 10 March 2017.​

Dr Lisel O'Dwyer
School of Human, Health and Social Sciences
Appleton Institute
Central Queensland University
44 Greenhill Rd, Waybille SA
Mob 0412 199 385