[Iag-list] CfP RGS-IBG 2017 - Practising paradox: decolonising urban geographies from the settler-colonial University

Libby Porter libby.porter at rmit.edu.au
Wed Feb 1 18:41:40 AEDT 2017

Apologies for x-posting

*Call for Papers: **RGS-IBG Annual Conference Tuesday 29 August to Friday 1
September 2017*

*Sponsored by the Geographies of Justice Research Group*

*Session:* Practising paradox: decolonising urban geographies from the
settler-colonial University

*Organisers:*

Libby Porter, RMIT University, Melbourne

Libby.porter at rmit.edu.au

Tod Jones, Curtin University, Perth

t.jones at curtin.edu.au

The question of decolonisation raises a series of paradoxes in the context
of urban geographical scholarship in settler-colonial universities. The
city, perhaps the most emblematic location of how settler privilege is
upheld, is a site where decolonisation is urgently needed but at the same
time energetically ignored. And the institutions of the academy – from
universities to funding bodies – are hardly innocent of sustaining those
very same structures of privilege. So what, then, might it look and feel
like to attempt to practice decoloniality about the city, from the site of
university-based scholarship in settler-colonial contexts?

This session aims to open up a conversation about practicing decolonial
scholarship, and the uncomfortable paradoxes and politics that inevitably
unfold.

Papers are sought that engage with the following kinds of questions:

-       What might it mean to practice decolonial urban geographical
scholarship?

-       What is the status of existing colonial structures, like
universities, in the work of decolonising urban geographical knowledges?

-       Where do people find spaces within universities to practice
community-based, justice-oriented, activist scholarship?

-       What difference does the urban make to the question of
decolonisation?

-       What might be the ethics, politics and practices that can transform
urban geographical scholarship in settler-colonies?

-       What can we learn from the practices and politics of alliance
formation between scholars in universities and indigenous groups and
scholars who are seeking to decolonise urban geographical knowledges?

Abstracts of no more than 250 words to be sent to libby.porter at rmit.edu.au
by *Monday 13 February*

Thanks

Libby and Tod

--

*Associate Professor and VC's Principal Research Fellow*
*Centre for Urban Research*

*I respectfully acknowledge the Elders past, present and future of the
Kulin Nations, **on whose stolen lands I live and work. *

*Latest book (hotlink): Planning for Co-existence? Recognizing Indigenous
rights through land-use planning in Canada and Australia
<https://www.routledge.com/Planning-for-Coexistence-Recognizing-Indigenous-rights-through-land-use/Porter-Barry/p/book/9781409470779>*

*Things I'm interested in that you might be too:*
Planning Theory and Practice -
https://sites.google.com/site/planningtheoryandpractice/home
INURA - www.inura.org
Planners Network - www.plannersnetwork.org and Planners Network UK -