[Iag-list] Public lecture: Nikolas Rose, "The Urban Brain. Living in the neurosocial city"

Francis Markham francis.markham at anu.edu.au
Wed Mar 8 09:40:10 AEDT 2017

The Urban Brain. Living in the neurosocial city.
Presented by ANU College of Arts & Social Sciences
Wed 15 Mar 2017, 5pm
ANU, Finkel Lecture Theatre

[image: the neurosocial city]

Hear Professor Nikolas Rose argue that we should rethink the experience of
living in the city in the light of recent developments in the sciences of
life. We now know a great deal about the corporeal and cerebral impacts of
the varieties of forms of life that we call ‘urban’. He argues that social
scientists need to work with researchers in the life sciences to understand
how urban experience, and urban adversity ‘gets under the skin’ and shapes
the bodies and brains of urban citizens and denizens.

Nikolas Rose is Professor of Sociology in the Department of Global Health
and Social Medicine at Kings College London which he founded in 2012. He
was previously Martin White Professor of Sociology at the London School of
Economics and Political Science and Director of the LSE’s BIOS Centre for
the Study of Bioscience, Biomedicine, Biotechnology and Society, which he
founded in 2003. He is currently a visiting fellow at the Research School
of Social Sciences at the ANU.