[Iag-list] CFP Legal Geography sessions at IAG UQ Brisbane 11-14 July 2017

Daniel Robinson d.robinson at unsw.edu.au
Fri Mar 17 11:42:25 AEDT 2017

Dear Geographers,
We have three Legal Geography Study Group sessions for which we are making a call for papers for the IAG Annual Conference at University of Queensland, Brisbane, 11-14 July 2017 (https://absoluteevents.eventsair.com/QuickEventWebsitePortal/iag2017/web) .
Note the deadline for abstract submission

is fast approaching: Wednesday 5 April

Submission: Please submit your abstracts of 200 words via the conference website:
https://absoluteevents.eventsair.com/QuickEventWebsitePortal/iag2017/web/ExtraContent/ContentSubPage?page=1&subPage=3

We hope you can submit an abstract for one or more of the following sessions:

Legal Geography And Environment
Theme: Legal Geography
Nicole Graham, University of Technology Sydney
This session brings together the work of legal geographers whose research deals with the interrelationship between law and place. The session combines the theoretical work of legal geography, property theory and environmental law, with concrete applications to particular places, environments and legal problems.

Cities And Climate Change
Theme: Legal and Urban Geography (Sponsored by Urban Geography Study Group/Legal Geography Study Group)
Tayanah O'Donnell, University of Canberra
Australia's population density is significantly urban and coastal. Predicted climate change in the next century and beyond threatens to change urban life as we know it. Affecting issues as diverse as food, housing and transport, climatic change and associated environmental problems will impact all the systems that keep our cities functioning. Significant mitigation and adaptation measures will be required to meet these new challenges.  Across our urban regions, both coastal and inland, these challenges will be shaped by geographic specificities but will interact across spatial and institutional boundaries. The challenges will also be felt in systems at local, regional and national levels and require action across these competing governance scales.

Rural And Legal Geographies Of Energy And Mining Resources
Theme: Rural and Legal Geography
Lesley Crowe-Delaney, Curtin University
Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR) has gained regulatory ground this century as corporate-responsible disasters have resulted in negative impacts on the natural and built environments, human quality of life and fatality. CSR has, however, been criticised for its 'soft law' approach, where the self-regulatory system itself is the major criticism. Importantly and perhaps less researched, is when large corporations withdraw their interests altogether, particularly in energy production and primary industry.

While there are legal standards for these companies, hard laws focus on pollution and environmental impacts. An interdisciplinary approach means that rural and legal geographers can contribute powerfully to these relevant issues.
This session calls for:

  *   case study research, providing inspiration for other geographers
  *   legal perspectives on corporate responsibility beyond extraction or industry viability
  *   rural perspectives on similar issues as a result of corporate withdrawal

Please also note that on 11 July we will have a Legal Geography Methods Workshop at the start of the conference. We will have more information about that in due course. You can register your interest in this at d.robinson at unsw.edu.au<mailto:d.robinson at unsw.edu.au>

Kind regards, Daniel

Dr Daniel Robinson
Associate Professor and Masters of Environmental Management Program Authority
Co-director of the Masters of Environmental Law and Policy
Interdisciplinary Environmental Studies (IES),
School of Humanities and Languages| Faculty of Arts & Social Sciences
UNSW, Australia
Tel: (+612) 93859809
https://hal.arts.unsw.edu.au/about-us/people/Daniel-Robinson/
UNSW FASS Dean's Research Award Winner: Social Impact 2016
Convenor, Institute of Australian Geographers (IAG) Legal Geography Study Group
Research Fellow, International Centre for Trade and Sustainable Development (ICTSD), Geneva
New Book: Biodiversity, Access and Benefit-Sharing: Global Case Studies. Routledge/Earthscan, Oxon. Order on Routledge<http://www.routledge.com/books/details/9780415714273/>