[Iag-list] CFP - IAG - Cities and Climate Change

Tayanah.O'Donnell Tayanah.O'Donnell at canberra.edu.au
Mon Mar 27 11:02:14 AEDT 2017

Call for Papers:  Cities and Climate Climate

Dr Sarah James (ANU) and I welcome your submission for our session at IAG, Brisbane, 2017.

This is our third year for collaborative and informative discussion on this important theme, which is offered under both the urban and legal geography study groups.

Australia's population density is significantly urban and coastal. Predicted climate change in the next century and beyond threatens to change urban life as we know it. Affecting issues as diverse as food, housing and transport, climatic change and associated environmental impacts is likely to affect all the systems that keep our cities functioning. Significant mitigation and adaptation measures will be required to meet these new challenges.  Across our urban regions, both coastal and inland, these challenges will be shaped by geographic specificities though they interact across spatial and institutional boundaries. The challenges will also be felt in systems at local, regional and national levels and require action across competing governance scales.

As geographers we are well-placed to address questions relating to the cultural, social, physical, and economic impacts of climate change.

This session calls for papers that seek to identify, outline and engage with these issues, both in terms of the threats to urban areas presented by climate change, the possible solutions, and how to implement  these solutions.

Submission: Please submit your abstracts via the conference website, by clicking either on "urban geography - cities and climate change" or "legal geography - cities and climate change' under "themes." Please also email a copy to the session organisers directly.

https://absoluteevents.eventsair.com/QuickEventWebsitePortal/iag2017/web/ExtraContent/ContentSubPage?page=1&subPage=3

Session organisers: Tayanah O'Donnell, University of Canberra tayanah.Odonnell at canberra.edu.au<mailto:tayanah.Odonnell at canberra.edu.au> and Sarah James, Australian National University sarah.james at anu.edu.au<mailto:sarah.james at anu.edu.au>

With best wishes,

Tayanah

Tayanah O'Donnell
Research Fellow
CURF, Faculty of Arts and Design
University of Canberra
LLB, BSSc, GDLP
Co-Convenor, Legal Geography Study Group, IAG
2017 Award, Emerging Scholar, Ninth International Conference on Climate Change, Cambridge, U.K.

[http://www.canberra.edu.au/__data/assets/image/0008/1312955/uc_sig_block_01.jpg]