[Iag-list] 2nd CFP - Critical Urban Greening at IAG conference 2017

Benjamin Cooke ben.cooke at rmit.edu.au
Tue Mar 28 11:54:37 AEDT 2017

Hi Folks,

A reminder about the call from Ellen van Holstein and I to participate in
the 'Critical Urban Greening' session at the 2017 IAG conference. Abstracts
are due April 5 on the conference website
<https://absoluteevents.eventsair.com/QuickEventWebsitePortal/iag2017/web/ExtraContent/ContentSubPage?page=1&subPage=3>
- please indicate your interest in the session when submitting. Please also
send your abstracts to me and feel free to get in touch should you have any
questions.

*Session title: *Critical Urban Greening
*Theme: *Urban Geography

Based on environmental benefits, support for urban greening is growing.
Yet, urban political ecologists caution that benefits and harms are always
unevenly distributed. Thus, greening targets must be complemented with a
critical awareness of urban greening processes and politics. We welcome
papers that address such questions along lines of gender, class, age and
Indigeneity, justice and care. We are also interested in the agency
involved in greening and in the potential of greening to challenge
categories such as ‘human’, ‘urban’, ‘public’ and ‘weed’. We seek to take
the claims of nonhumans seriously in urban greening initiatives and ask how
this informs a new understanding of relationships between private and
public green spaces. The session aims to formulate a progressive urban
greening agenda for Australia, through overarching questions such as what
kinds of nature are worthwhile producing, who might be involved in this
production and to whose benefit do urban greening initiatives work?

Apologies for cross postings.

Cheers,
Ben

--
Dr Benjamin Cooke
Lecturer

Sustainability and Urban Planning
Centre for Urban Research
School of Global, Urban and Social Studies
RMIT University

Ph: +61 3 9925 9943
Twitter: @ben_cooke12
Office: 8.7.34

I acknowledge the people of the Kulin Nations as the traditional owners of
the lands on which I live and work, respectfully recognising Elders past,
present and future.

*Some recent publications:*
Article in The Conversation: 'Why ‘green cities’ need to become a deeply
lived experience
<https://theconversation.com/why-green-cities-need-to-become-a-deeply-lived-experience-65566>
'

Cooke, B. (2017). The co-presence of past and future in the practice of
environmental management: implications for rural-amenity landscapes
<https://books.google.com.au/books?id=Ac3LDAAAQBAJ&pg=PT124&lr=&source=gbs_toc_r&cad=3#v=onepage&q&f=false>.
In, *Nature, temporality and environmental management: Scandinavian and
Australian perspectives on peoples and landscapes*
<https://www.routledge.com/Nature-Temporality-and-Environmental-Management-Scandinavian-and-Australian/Head-Saltzman-Setten-Stenseke/p/book/9781472464651>,
Lesley Head, Katarina Saltzman, Gunhild Setten, Marie Stenseke (eds). New
York: Routledge. 77-93.

Cooke, B., West, S. & Boonstra, W.J. (2016). Dwelling in the biosphere:
exploring an embodied human–environment connection in resilience thinking
<http://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s11625-016-0367-3>. *Sustainability
Science. *DOI 10.1007/s11625-016-0367-3.

Torabi, N., Cooke, B. & Bekessy, S. (2016). The role of social networks and
trusted peers in promoting biodiverse carbon plantings
<http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.1080/00049182.2016.1154535>.
*Australian
Geographer*. 47(2), 139-156.