[Iag-list] Collaborative PhD opportunity in Edinburgh's Stevenson archive

Brendan Whyte obiwonfive at hotmail.com
Fri Apr 21 14:41:51 AEST 2017

The National Library of Scotland received funding for a collaborative PhD, researching the Stevenson maps and plans (ca. 1800-1900), back in February, but sadly we did not receive any suitable applications by our closing date of 7 April.

We are therefore re-advertising the post with a new closing date of 19 May 2017. We would be very grateful if this advert could be brought to wider attention – we clearly didn’t reach the right people last time round.

The Stevenson archive contains around 3,000 maps and plans, supported by an extensive written archive, focusing on infrastructure projects in Scotland and further afield – particularly railways, harbours, bridges, canals, and lighthouses in the 19th century. The maps have received almost no scholarly attention. Within this broad theme, there are good opportunities to shape the more specific direction of the research. The studentship also includes a six month project working closely with curators in the Library, gaining valuable research and technical skills, and building a web-application to provide access to all the plans.

Further details at: http://www.nls.uk/using-the-library/academic-research/collaborations/opportunities with the advert at:

PhD opportunities - Academic research - National Library ...<http://www.nls.uk/using-the-library/academic-research/collaborations/opportunities>

www.nls.uk
University of Edinburgh / National Library of Scotland. We are advertising the following collaborative PhD opportunity: 'Engineering "Modern" Scotland: The Stevenson ...

http://www.nls.uk/media/1472108/ahrc-nls-stevenson-phd-2.pdf

Many thanks,

Chris

Chris Fleet
Map Curator | Collections and Research Department

National Library of Scotland
159 Causewayside, Edinburgh EH9 1PH

Tel: 0131 623 4670
Email: c.fleet at nls.uk<mailto:c.fleet at nls.uk>