[Iag-list] GSNSW Geography Photo Compeition, Exhibtion and 90th Anniversay celebration

Philip Mcmanus phil.mcmanus at sydney.edu.au
Wed May 3 12:51:27 AEST 2017

HI everyone,
I am pleased to announce that the Geographical Society of NSW (GSNSW) will be launching its photography competition tomorrow, with a closing date of 6 July, 2017.  Eligible Participants are invited to submit digital images taken 'in the field'. The field is broadly defined to encompass the spaces in which geographers undertake teaching and research related activities, outside their places of employment.  Terms and conditions, including prizes, will be available on the GSNSW website http://www.geogsoc.org.au/site/index.cfm?display=279275  Further information can be obtained by contacting the Society's Executive Officer, Ms. Bronwyn Bate B.Bate at westernsydney.edu.au<mailto:B.Bate at westernsydney.edu.au>

We are holding two other major activities as part of the 90th Anniversary of the GSNSW.  One activity is a Geography Exhibition in the Fisher Library at the University of Sydney.  A number of photos from the above competition will be displayed in our exhibition. The theme is both a celebration of geography and a recognition of the 90 years of the GSNSW.  We will announce further details soon.

Finally, there was an earlier notice inviting list members to "save the date" of August 12th for our 90th Anniversary Dinner.  Thank you for doing so.  This occasion is a celebration of geography.  I am pleased to announce that this event will be held in the very beautiful McLaurin Hall at the University of Sydney.  The keynote speaker is LINDA BURNEY MP, Shadow Minister for Human Services,  Member for Barton (formerly in the NSW Parliament as Member for Canterbury), and a proud member of the Wiradjuri nation.  Linda was the first Aboriginal person to be elected to the NSW Parliament and the first Aboriginal woman to serve in the Australian House of Representatives.  Linda's commitment to Indigenous issues spans more than 30 years. There will be live music and a DJ.  Fittingly for the occasion, the earlybird rate for this fully catered formal dinner will be $90 per head, which the GSNSW is subsidizing in order to promote geography.  Tickets will go on sale soon.  Anticipate receiving further emails to promote this major geographical event.

These activities accord with the GSNSW mission to advance geography in New South Wales and throughout Australia. We are dedicated to the promotion, support and, when necessary, the defence of geographical research, scholarship and education. The Society encourages geographical submissions to appropriate authorities on the management of environmental and social issues in Australia and aspires to an expansion of geographical literacy among the public of NSW.  For membership and further information about the GSNSW see http://www.geogsoc.org.au/site/index.cfm?display=279275

With best wishes,

Phil

Phil McManus
Professor of Urban and Environmental Geography
Head of School of Geosciences
The University of Sydney
SYDNEY   NSW   AUSTRALIA  2006
email:  phil.mcmanus at sydney.edu.au
phone: 61-2-9351 4242

President - Geographical Society of New South Wales (GSNSW)
http://www.geogsoc.org.au/site/index.cfm?display=279275

Recent publications:
McManus, P. (2016). Eco-City Development and Urban Health Reform: The Sino-Singapore Tianjin Eco-City as a Model for Chinese and Other Cities. In Mu Li and Yangfen Wu (Eds.), Urbanization and Public Health in China, (pp. 317-335). London: Imperial College Press.
DeAraugo, J., McLaren, S., McManus, P., McGreevy, P. (2016). Improving the understanding of psychological factors contributing to horse-related accident and injury: Context, loss of focus, cognitive errors and rigidity. Animals, 6(2), 1-10
Google Scholar<https://scholar.google.com.au/citations?hl=en&user=V5FHQvwAAAAJ>       ResearchGate<https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Phil_McManus>      Academia<https://sydney.academia.edu/PhilMcManus>