[Iag-list] Decolonising Settler Cities supported by Antipode Foundation International Workshop Award

Tod Jones T.Jones at curtin.edu.au
Sat May 20 09:42:51 AEST 2017

Decolonising Settler Cities Symposium supported by an Antipode Foundation International Workshop Award

Decolonising Settler Cities is now being supported by an Antipode Foundation International Workshop Award.  The purpose of the award, granted by the Antipode Foundation, is to support events that further radical analyses of geographical issues and engender the development of a new and better society.  The award supports our pursuit in the symposium of hearing the city differently through conversation with Indigenous custodians, activists, scholars, Elders and practitioners, and to use this as the basis for rethinking urbanism.

There is still time to make a submission of interest to Decolonising Settler Cities.  The Call for Participants closes on 1 June 2017.

Please join us in seeking an agenda for establishing decolonising practices in Australian cities.

Keynotes:

Prof Oren Yiftachel - leading international urbanist and researcher of the global South, Prof. Yiftachel is one of the main critical geographers and social scientists working in Israel/Palestine. His activities include working with Bedouin residents of the Negev on land ownership and community planning.

Professor Tony Birch ‐ renowned academic, novelist and educator and inaugural recipient of the Dr Bruce McGuinness Indigenous Research Fellowship at Victoria University.

Ms Linda Kennedy ‐ Yuin and Maltese woman located in the Illawarra NSW, architectural designer and author of Future‐Black.com, a blog exploring decolonisation of design in Australia’s built environment.

Date and location:  Tuesday 26 September to Wednesday 27 September in Perth, Western Australia.

Context:

The lands on which Australian urban centres continue to be built are located on the unceded territories of distinct, sovereign Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples who continue to exert and practice their laws, cultures, rights and interests. Beyond such broad recognition statements as this, there has been remarkably little effort made to figure out what this means and how this acknowledgement fundamentally unsettles the categories and knowledges by which we claim to understand the Australian city.

Decolonising Settler Cities seeks to create a space to talk about issues that are difficult to define, but are also essential for justice and our collective futures. While it is clear that urban areas in settler colonial countries have always been Indigenous, the implications of this understanding for the future of our cities is unclear. We invite scholars and practitioners to share their questions and critiques, experience and knowledge of decolonising possibilities and obstacles in urban locations. Our hope is to find ways to think through and beyond ‘whitestream’ categories of knowing, thinking and imagining the Australian city, and appropriately centre Indigenous experiences, theories, knowledges and perspectives.

We are particularly interested in perspectives that draw on contemporary Indigenous experiences and knowledge to unsettle the categories that underlie urban governance and often make Indigenous peoples’ aspirations impossible to achieve.  These categories include but are not limited to property, health, development, education, work and family.  The corollary of this negative set of experiences is the way that Indigenous Australians find ways to claim rights, practice culture, enact laws and act in their interests in urban locations.  These are the practices of Indigenous urban citizenship.

We invite participants to contact us with a short statement explaining their interest in participating. For those participants wanting to make a presentation, please indicate the topic area and the type of medium (whether a paper, film, performance, reading, or another format).  We welcome approaches from people with a variety of backgrounds, experiences and expertise.  Decolonising Settler Cities will have a limited number of speakers and will seek a diverse set of presenters with a large Indigenous presence.

Please see the attachment for our principles and more information on the Urban Theory Symposium series (which includes Decolonising Settler Cities).

Timeline:

Submissions due (300 words): 1 June 2017.

Notification of acceptance: 15 June 2017

Materials (whether film, paper, photographs, art work or something else) due: 17 July 2017

The materials will be circulated before the symposium. We will discuss publication of papers and other materials at the symposium.

Please email your submissions to either Tod Jones at Curtin University (T.Jones at curtin.edu.au<mailto:T.Jones at curtin.edu.au>) or Libby Porter at RMIT (libby.porter at rmit.edu.au<mailto:libby.porter at rmit.edu.au>). And if you have any questions, please let us know! We are happy to work directly with you if you would like assistance with abstracts or accessing information for your presentation.

We acknowledge and thank the Wadjuk Noongar people on whose territory Decolonising Settler Cities will be held.

Hosted by:

*         Translational Research Network for Aboriginal Knowledges and Wellbeing, Curtin University

*         Centre for Aboriginal Studies, Curtin University

*         School of Built Environment, Curtin University and

*         Centre for Urban Research, RMIT.

We would also like to thank the Urban Geography Study Group, the Indigenous Peoples' Knowledges and Rights Study Group, and the Critical Development Study Group in the Institute of Australian Geographers for their support of Decolonising Settler Cities.