[Iag-list] FW: CfP The Environmental impact of Universities...

Simon P J Batterbury simonpjb at unimelb.edu.au
Fri Sep 15 07:10:54 AEST 2017

From: pesoemails-bounces at listserv.utep.edu [mailto:pesoemails-bounces at listserv.utep.edu] On Behalf Of Manuel Vallee
Sent: Thursday, 14 September 2017 11:19 AM
To: Pesoemails at listserv.utep.edu
Subject: [Pesoemails] Re: CfP The Environmental impact of Universities...

Apologies for cross-postings...

Dear colleagues,

I'm co-organizing a session for the Sociological Association of Aotearoa New Zealand (SAANZ) conference that might interest some of you...

The focus will be on the relationship between universities and the environment, and the abstract submission deadline is September 29.

For more information about the conference, please visit:
http://www.otago.ac.nz/saanz/index.html<http://www.otago.ac.nz/saanz/index.html>

http://www.otago.ac.nz/saanz/call-for-papers/index.html<http://www.otago.ac.nz/saanz/call-for-papers/index.html>

take care,
Manuel Vallee
Sociology Department
University of Auckland

PS: if you are working on the relationship of universities to the environment, but know you won't be able to make it to the conference, we'd still love to hear about your work.

Sociological Association of Aotearoa New Zealand Conference
Dates: December 6-10, 2017, Dunedin, New Zealand
Conference Theme: Respect Existence or Expect Resistance
The University of Otago Department of Sociology, Gender and Social Work is pleased to be hosting the SAANZ conference this year. Our theme this year captures important events and struggles globally and builds on previous conversations at SAANZ around engaging with public debates on key issues.
Session Title: Environmental Responsibility at the University
Session organizers: Manuel Vallée and Katharine Legun
Abstract:
Universities are at the epicenter of our environmental problems. Beyond contributing to environmental injustices through the resources they consume and waste they produce, universities exert a deep ideological impact, shaping the next generation's beliefs vis-a-vis the environment, as well as the corresponding value systems and behaviors. Universities may generate an ideological imprint that undermines our ability to create environmentally resilient, sustainable and just societies, but they can also provide spaces where radical ideas can be explored and alternative economies pursued. With this in mind, how might universities better support the ecologies of the communities in which they exist? How might we ensure that students graduate with environmentally literacy? How should universities best support research that can contribute to maintaining environmental integrity? This session invites presentations that examine how universities contribute to environmental justice problems, that situate the universities within the larger political-economy, and which identifies how the institutions are working to mitigate their impact. Presenters will be participating in sessions as part of the SAANZ annual conference in Dunedin.

Abstract Submission: please submit abstracts of 100-150 words to Manuel Vallee (m.vallee at auckland.ac.nz<mailto:m.vallee at auckland.ac.nz>) and Katherine Legun (katharine.legun at otago.ac.nz<mailto:katharine.legun at otago.ac.nz>) by September 29th.
"Mehemea ka moemoe? ahau, ko ahau anake. Mehemea ka moemoe? t?tou, ka taea e t?tou" - Te Puea Herangi

(If I dream, I dream alone. If we dream as a collective, we can achieve our dream - Te Puea Herangi)