[Iag-list] MORALLY REPREHENSIBLE COLONIALISM

Paul Hodge paul.hodge at newcastle.edu.au
Sat Sep 16 11:23:35 AEST 2017

I was in shock when I read this article and again when it seemed it was gaining support.

My shock comes from having close friends and colleagues who feel the brunt of colonialism every day. A part from being poorly written, highly selective and filled with simplistic binaries, those impacted are once again silenced.

My guess is that the author and his supporters have never had to feel such things.

Across the study groups of the IAG there is a genuine commitment to decolonise the discipline. I know what I’m going to keep putting my energy into.

Paul

Dr Paul Hodge

Lecturer in Development Studies, Geography & Environmental Studies
School of Environmental and Life Sciences

I acknowledge the Aboriginal custodians of the land in the region where I live and work, the Awabakal and Worimi peoples. I acknowledge the Elders, past, present and future, and Country itself.

Co-convenor Critical Development Study Group (IAG)

Profile:  http://www.newcastle.edu.au/profile/paul-hodge

T: +61 2 4921 5092 (Room SR296 Geography Wing, Social Science Building)
E: paul.hodge at newcastle.edu.au<mailto:paul.hodge at newcastle.edu.au>

The University of Newcastle (UoN)
University Drive
Callaghan NSW 2308