[Iag-list] Legal Geography Study Group Workshop: CFP: March 2018 Canberra

Tayanah.O'Donnell Tayanah.O'Donnell at canberra.edu.au
Mon Nov 27 11:34:23 AEDT 2017

Dear IAG community,

Below are the details for the next IAG legal geography study group event - a 2 day workshop held at the University of Canberra, 1-2 March 2018.
With apologies for any cross-posting

**
Abstract submission is now open for the 2018 legal geography study group workshop: "legal geography: methods and critique". Accepted abstract authors will be invited to attend the workshop, present their paper, and engage in informal peer review and discussion. Selected papers will also be invited to contribute to a co-edited collection, published with Routledge. (The editors are Dan Robinson (UNSW), Jo Gillespie (USyd) and I). Guest speakers at the workshop include Reader Luke Bennett (Sheffield Hallam University), with others TBC.

There is no registration fee, and with the financial support of the IAG we are able to offer up to 3 x $330 travel scholarships for PhD students.

Places are limited to 22 participants. Please send abstracts of no more than 500 words to me by 19 January 2018. Successful participants will be notified by 31 January 2018.

Scope of papers

Legal geography interrogations continue to link people, places, law in various spatial contexts (see special journal, Geographical Research 2016). For Australian legal geographers, the recent concern to address place has seen significant growth and scholarly contribution. But what does this growth mean for the methods deployed in legal geographical research?

This then is the starting point for this call for papers. How do legal geographers 'do' legal geography'? At what point can research that examines how the realms of law, spatiality and society come together be categorised as 'legal geography'? In building on the contributions of Braverman et al 2014, and Bennett and Layard 2015, these questions remain critical for the advancement of both legal geography scholarship and in guiding future generations of scholars interested to participate in this field of research.

We invite abstracts to this workshop on any aspect of legal geography. We are particularly interested to ensure representation from a wide variety of disciplines and of scholars at different levels of seniority. Topics may include (though are not limited to): networks, materialities, pluralism, scale, relationality, territory, gender, race, and environment. We are looking for both theoretical and empirical contributions relating to legal geography, with a particular interest in method, methodology and research design.

We look forward to receiving your abstracts.

Tayanah O'Donnell
Postdoctoral Research Fellow
University of Canberra
Convenor, Legal Geography Study Group, IAG
2017 AMP Tomorrow Maker<https://www.ampstomorrowfund.com.au/tomorrow-makers/tayanah-odonnell/>
Forthcoming: Legal Geographies  of Coastal Climate Adaptation: Palgrave Macmillan 2019

[http://www.canberra.edu.au/__data/assets/image/0006/1491567/uc_sig_block_01.jpg]