[Iag-list] EOIs: Oceanic Responsibilities and Co-belonging, 5-6 Feb 2018

Michele Lobo michele.lobo at deakin.edu.au
Wed Nov 29 14:27:55 AEDT 2017

Dear Friends

Welcome! Please send us any contacts so we can also engage with business/industry/govt/activists/NGOs, community groups.

Oceanic Responsibilities and Co-belonging: Collaborative and creative responses to climate change
(supported by the Institute of Australian Geographers)

The Cultural Study Group along with the Environmental Sustainability-Hazards Risk Disasters group and Critical Development Studies Group are delighted to hold a 1 ½ day workshop at Deakin University, 5-6 Feb 2018, Deakin University (Deakin Downtown) http://www.deakin.edu.au/locations/deakin-corporate-centres/deakin-downtown

We adopt a broad understanding of the term 'oceanic'. First, we use it to refer to places on the edge of terrestrial thinking - oceanic, riverine, wetland environments etc. Second, 'oceanic' draws attention to the enormous responsibilities we have that can only be addressed through a process of collaboration and experimentation with diverse stakeholders. Third, it refers to a conceptual foundation that goes beyond the insular and anthropocentric and responds to living with human and more-than-human difference. Fourth, 'oceanic' provides possibilities to decolonise thought by privileging unconventional, 'minor' knowledges that can recompose co-belonging in the Anthropocene.

The Event
Our goal in holding this event is to develop and strengthen relationships with key stakeholders and social/environmental stewards

Schedule:
Day 1 (afternoon) -  Up to 6 short 10-minute presentations followed by discussion that we hope will guide and direct future plans for collaborative research.
Participants:  academics state/local govt reps, scientists/policy makers, industry, artists, activists, civic groups, Indigenous and ethnic minority groups (e.g. CSIRO, Melbourne Museum and Department of Defence have registered interest in participating).

Day 2: Following on from day 1, our aim is for a more purpose-driven discussion as a means to commence the development of potential collaborative grants, experimental solutions, as well as work towards producing high quality co-authored publications.

Alongside the presentations and discussions, we will exhibit a range of creative responses relevant to the theme - 'oceanic responsibilities'.  This might be excerpts of fieldwork documentation, creative artworks, experimental responses, and so on, and can take any screen-based form (images, short video, audio, multimedia). It will be displayed as a looping accumulation of creative responses during the event.

The workshop will be the first stage in a 3-yr program of capacity building.

Please send expressions of interest 250 words to Michele Lobo (Michele.Lobo at deakin.edu.au<mailto:Michele.Lobo at deakin.edu.au>) and Michelle Duffy (Michelle.Duffy at newcastle.edu.au<mailto:Michelle.Duffy at newcastle.edu.au>) by 15 December, 2017  Please mention whether you are a staff member/student, institution, research interest, alignment with the event and themes/provocations/discussions that might be of interest. Also indicate whether you will exhibit creative responses/artworks. If you are a PhD student mention whether you would like to be considered for a travel scholarship.

There is no registration fee, and with the financial support of the IAG we are offering up to 2 x $300 travel scholarships for PhD students. Please mention whether you would like to be considered for this scholarship.

Kind Regards

Michele Lobo, Michelle Duffy and Danielle Drozdzewski
(Cultural Study Group Convenors)

Dr Michele Lobo
Convenor, IAG Cultural Geography Study Group
Editor, Social & Cultural Geography http://www.tandfonline.com/loi/rscg20
              Twitter: SocCultGeog
Editor, Book Reviews/Critical Dialogues, Postcolonial Studies Journal
              http://www.tandfonline.com/loi/cpcs20
Twitter: @michelelobo29

Important Notice: The contents of this email are intended solely for the named addressee and are confidential; any unauthorised use, reproduction or storage of the contents is expressly prohibited. If you have received this email in error, please delete it and any attachments immediately and advise the sender by return email or telephone.

Deakin University does not warrant that this email and any attachments are error or virus free.