[Iag-list] CFP Trans-elemental fire & water open panel at 4s Sydney 29 August to 1 Sept 2018

Jessica Weir J.Weir at westernsydney.edu.au
Thu Dec 14 17:51:00 AEDT 2017

Dear all,

The Society for Social Studies of Science (4s) annual conference is being held next year in Sydney, from 29 August to 1 Sept 2018.

We invite you to consider submitting a 250 abstract to our open panel, with submissions closing 1 February 2018:

https://4s2018sydney.org/call-for-papers-open-panels/

Trans-elemental fire & water

Jessica Weir, Western Sydney University; Cleo Woelfle-Erskine, University of Washington

Fire and water are very different elements and are often considered separately by researchers and research teams, whether within traditional disciplines or transdisciplinary research. There are logistical reasons for this, such as time, capacity and methods; however, the influence of the hyper-separated nature/culture binary is also at work here – seeking to secure a legible nature for human use and management, including by defining discrete elements (Plumwood 1993, Latour 1991). For example, in settler-colonial societies environmental managers aim to prevent floods and wildfires, but rarely coordinate land management activities to account for the interaction between both elements, or are stymied in such work by institutional norms. And yet the destructive spatio-temporal power of catastrophic floods and wildfires is a generative opportunity for societies to re-think the conceptual terms of human-nature relations. Indigenous people are critical collaborators in this work, not just as land owners, knowledge holders, risk mitigation practitioners and at-risk citizens; but also as party to the work of settler-colonial atonement for wounded country. Engaging with the natural and physical sciences, including tracking their use and misuse in policy and practice, is central to understanding trans-elemental knowledge and authority. This panel invites papers that uncover fire-water relations and diverse ways of knowing and living with them. We are particularly interested in papers that involve case studies and research partnerships motivated by ecological and social justice.