[Iag-list] CFP Urban Theory Symposium: Cities of Care (14-15 June, Melbourne)

Ilan Wiesel ilan.wiesel at unimelb.edu.au
Thu Feb 15 09:58:40 AEDT 2018

URBAN THEORY SYMPOSIUM: CITIES OF CARE
CALL FOR PAPERS

Symposium date and location:  14-15 June 2018, University of Melbourne
Abstracts due:  30 April 2018

Keynote speakers
Professor Brendan Gleeson, University of Melbourne
Dr Emma Power, Western Sydney University
Dr Miriam Williams, Macquarie University

Symposium theme
The Urban Theory Symposium Series is the initiative of the Urban Geography Study Group of the Institution of Australian Geographers and the Australian Cities Research Network.  The series explores critical theoretical issues, conceptualisations and analytical tools emerging within urban studies, urban geography and urban planning scholarships.

The theme of the third Urban Theory Symposium is “Cities of Care”. Feminist scholarship on the ‘ethics of care’ highlighted the ways in which everyday practices of care for, with and about ourselves and others, and how we give and receive care, should all be recognised as fundamental ethical and moral questions. If we acknowledge that care is critical to how we "maintain, continue, and repair our 'world' so that we can live in it as well as possible" (Fisher and Tronto, 1990, p. 40), then care must also be central to theorisations of the city, and yet has been largely absent in urban studies (Williams, 2017).

Thinking about care challenges us to expand the sorts of things that we consider as significant ethical or moral issues. The situated, embodied nature of care also challenges us to think differently about power, justice, productivity, welfare, well-being, bodies, emotions and social relations in cities. The aim of the ‘Cities of Care’ symposium is to explore different ways to address these challenges. We invite papers that offer new perspectives on care and cities, focusing for example on (but not limited to) one or more of the following themes:

  *   Geographies of care
  *   Intersections of care and social justice in cities
  *   Urban economies of care
  *   Care and urban governance
  *   Care and social diversity
  *   Care in a more-than-human city
  *   Infrastructures of care
  *   Politics of care
  *   Emotional geographies of care in the city

Submitting abstracts
Please submit your abstracts (up to 200 words) to Ilan Wiesel, ilan.wiesel at unimelb.edu.au<mailto:ilan.wiesel at unimelb.edu.au> by 30 April 2018.
We expect that the symposium would lead to a Special Issue in a relevant international journal.

Sincerely,
Symposium convenors:
Ilan Wiesel, University of Melbourne
Wendy Steele, RMIT