[Iag-list] NZGS/IAG CFP: What makes an environmental problem? July 2018

Brendon Blue b.blue at auckland.ac.nz
Mon Mar 12 13:27:52 AEDT 2018

Hello everyone. We welcome responses to this call for papers examining
and challenging how environmental ‘problems’ are understood and approached.

Apologies for cross-posting.

*CFP: NZGS/IAG Conference, Auckland, 11-14 July 2018 *

*Session title: What makes an environmental problem?*

*Convenors:* Brendon Blue, Karen Fisher, Andrew Allison (The University
of Auckland)

A rapidly growing body of literature emphasises the merits of
understanding environmental systems as ‘coproduced’: the product of
entangled social and biophysical structures and processes (e.g. Ashmore,
2015; Bouleau, 2014; Lave et al., 2014). Meanwhile, historical records
emphasise the dynamic nature of past physical regimes, challenging the
viability and desirability of ‘pre-disturbance’ reference conditions
(e.g. Dufour and Piégay, 2009; Lyver et al., 2015).

Emerging from rather different sources – the ‘critical’ social sciences
and the physical sciences respectively – these developments trouble how
we see, and respond to, environmental challenges. If naturalness can no
longer be taken as a self-evident ideal for conservation and
environmental rehabilitation efforts, how do we know when an
environmental problem is, in fact, a problem?

This session welcomes papers from geographers of all stripes interested
in constructively examining the measurement, modelling and framing of
environmental problems. Time permitting, the session will incorporate a
discussion of key emerging themes and potential research directions.

*Keywords:* Ecological restoration, socio-natures, critical physical
geography, sociogeomorphology, landscape change

Please contact Brendon Blue, b.blue at auckland.ac.nz
<mailto:b.blue at auckland.ac.nz>, for more information or with an abstract
by 31st March 2018.

--

Brendon Blue

Professional Teaching Fellow
School of Environment
The University of Auckland|Te Whare Wānanga o Tāmaki Makaurau