[Iag-list] Conversations in Anthropology at Deakin, Episode #12: Paige West and Jo Chandler

Tim Neale timneale at gmail.com
Fri Jun 22 09:59:32 AEST 2018

Episode 12 of Conversations in Anthropology at Deakin is now out. In this
episode we are lucky enough to be joined by Paige West and Jo Chandler for
a conversation about many things, including Papua New Guinea, the ethics of
representation, decolonising scholarship, and the promises of development
and conservation. For those who don’t know her work, Paige is an
anthropologist who investigates the relationship between societies and
their environments. She is the Claire Tow Professor of Anthropology at
Barnard College and Colombia University and has authored numerous books on
conservation and our relationships with environments, including
Conservation is Our Government Now: the Politics of Ecology in Papua New
Guinea (Duke, 2006) and Dispossession and the Environment: Rhetoric and
Inequality in Papua New Guinea (Columbia, 2016). Jo Chandler is an
award-winning Australian journalist who has written about environmental
concerns around the world, including Papua New Guinea. She has been
covering Papua New Guinea for a decade now, and is the author of the
award-winning book Feeling the Heat (Melbourne, 2011). Jo also lectures in
journalism at University of Melbourne.

Soundcloud:
https://soundcloud.com/user-910866758/episode-12-paige-west-and-jo-chandler

iTunes:
https://itunes.apple.com/au/podcast/anthropology-deakin-podcast/id1225830389?mt=2

*Dr Timothy Neale*

*Alfred Deakin Postdoctoral Research Fellow*

*Deakin University*

t.neale at deakin.edu.au <matthew.guy at deakin.edu.au>

http://www.deakin.edu.au/about-deakin/people/tim-neale