[Iag-list] Two Geographers elected to the Governing Board of the International Science Council

Ian Rutherfurd idruth at unimelb.edu.au
Sun Jul 8 12:07:11 AEST 2018

Dear Geographers
It is a great pleasure to announce that Professor Ruth Fincher has been elected as one of two geographers on the governing board
of the International Science Council.
Below is the message from Prof Mike Meadows  of the IGU.
Best regards

Ian D Rutherfurd  |  Associate Professor
School of Geography  |  Faculty of Science
President of the Institute of Australian Geographers

Room 1.02, 221 Bouverie St, Carlton, bldg. 379
The University of Melbourne, Victoria 3010 Australia
T: +61 3 8344 3172  M: 0407 881210  E: idruth at unimelb.edu.au<mailto:idruth at unimelb.edu.au>
unimelb.edu.au

[cid:image001.jpg at 01D41616.B62F6D00]
[IAG_Logo(OnWhite)Sm (4)]

Subject: Two Geographers elected to the Governing Board of the International Science Council

Dear IGU Colleagues
The inaugural General Assembly of the International Science Council, which was recently established out of the merger of ICSU and the ISSC, is currently underway in Paris.  Elections were held yesterday for the new Governing Board and I am delighted to inform you that two geographers were elected as Ordinary Members of the Board: Professor Ruth Fincher of the University of Melbourne and Professor Anna Davies of Trinity College, Dublin.
This is truly wonderful news for our discipline.  The new organisation, which aims to be the global voice of science, will play an important role in integrating the sciences towards the goal of addressing major global environmental and societal issues.  Geographers  will now formally be at the very centre of such efforts.
Congratulations to Ruth and Anna, we wish them every success in the hard work that lies ahead.
Best wishes
Mike Meadows
Professor Mike Meadows
Secretary-General and Treasurer
International Geographical Union
Department of Environmental & Geographical Science
University of Cape Town
Rondebosch
7701
South Africa
Tel: +27 21 650 2873
Fax: +27 21 650 3456
Disclaimer - University of Cape Town This email is subject to UCT policies and email disclaimer published on our website at http://www.uct.ac.za/main/email-disclaimer<http://www.uct.ac.za/main/email-disclaimer> or obtainable from +27 21 650 9111. If this email is not related to the business of UCT, it is sent by the sender in an individual capacity. Please report security incidents or abuse via https://csirt.uct.ac.za/page/report-an-incident.php<https://csirt.uct.ac.za/page/report-an-incident.php>.