[Iag-list] Vale J.R.V. (Victor) Prescott 1931-2018

Brendan Whyte obiwonfive at hotmail.com
Fri Aug 17 13:34:03 AEST 2018

Friends and  colleagues,

It is with great personal sadness that I inform you that Emeritus Professor J.R.V. (Victor) Prescott, late of the Geography Department at the University of Melbourne, passed away earlier this morning. He had been in declining health for some time.

Victor was a long-standing scholar and expert in the field of international boundaries, both on land and sea, and the author of many books, articles and newspaper pieces.

His wife Dorothy has compiled a biography and bibliography of Victor’s life and works, which are available online, fittingly hosted by the International Boundaries Research Unit at Durham University, Victor's alma mater.

https://www.dur.ac.uk/ibru/research/maps/prescott/

Victor was truly a scholar and a gentleman, an internationally-renowned expert in his field, and a personal inspiration and mentor to me. His expertise in international boundaries was the reason I moved to Melbourne University to study under him.

Victor will be farewelled at a private cremation. Further details will be published in the Melbourne newspapers the 'Herald Sun' and 'Melbourne Age' on Monday (20 Aug.).

Brendan Whyte

Dr Brendan Whyte

Assistant Curator of Maps

National Library of Australia