[Iag-list] Permanent Position in Human Geography: Victoria University of Wellington, New Zealand

Sara Kindon sara.kindon at vuw.ac.nz
Wed Sep 26 01:17:22 AEST 2018

Dear Colleagues, (apologies for cross-posting)

We have an exciting opportunity for someone to join our Geography programme at Victoria University of Wellington.

We ideally want someone who is proficient in survey design, quantitative analysis and statistical analysis within the context of human geography research, and who can teach a key undergraduate course inspiring students about the history and philosophy of our discipline, as well as contribute at postgraduate level.

We're a very research active and convivial group, also committed to excellent teaching.  Wellington has just been voted by Lonely Planet as the top city in the world, and after nearly 25 years of living there, I can vouch for it too.

Closing date October 28 2018.

I'm happy to answer questions as I don't think I'll be on the appointments panel for this one (sadly).  Please feel free to circulate. Job ad attached and copied below.

Best wishes,
Sara

Lecturer/Senior Lecturer in Human Geography (Permanent, Full-Time)

The School of Geography, Environment and Earth Sciences at Victoria University of Wellington are seeking to appoint a suitably qualified, energetic, and innovative colleague to the position of Lecturer or Senior Lecturer in Human Geography.

The appointee will conduct research in one or more areas of Quantitative Human Geography. The appointee will also teach at undergraduate and graduate levels. Our Human Geography programme was ranked first for research quality in the last two national research assessment exercises. This ranking reflects our strengths in applied and participatory research, and our work across social, indigenous, economic and development geographies in Aotearoa New Zealand, Latin America and the Pacific region. We seek someone who can complement and augment our existing areas of excellence in collegial and innovative ways.

The successful candidate will hold a PhD in Human Geography or in a relevant field. The ability to teach historical and contemporary ideas in Human Geography, as well as demonstrated expertise in research design, particularly involving quantitative analysis and surveys is essential. Research in the Asia Pacific or Aotearoa/New Zealand along with an understanding of Indigenous geographies and Matauranga Māori are highly desirable.

Lecturer-level applicants will be able to provide evidence of an evolving research trajectory, demonstrated by publication in internationally refereed journals and/or with academically reputable presses. Applicants should be able to provide evidence of previous University teaching; evidence of success in applying for external funding will also be viewed as an asset at this level of appointment.

Senior Lecturer-level applicants will have an established track record of publication and research funding, academically rigorous teaching, and demonstrable, emergent leadership in their respective fields.

All applicants should have experience in the supervision of Master’s and Doctoral students (commensurate with previous opportunity). Evidence of teaching and supervision quality will be an advantage.

Further information about School of Geography, Environment and Earth Sciences can be found at http://www.victoria.ac.nz/sgees. Specific information about this position can be obtained from Professor John Townend (john.townend at vuw.ac.nz).

Please complete the online application form and submit your CV and cover letter by attachment at http://www.victoria.ac.nz/about/careers/current-vacancies

Applications close: 28 October 2018 Reference 2390