[Iag-list] Call for Papers - Transforming Urban Governance Conference: June 2019, Melbourne

Libby Porter libby.porter at rmit.edu.au
Tue Dec 18 12:51:26 AEDT 2018

Dear colleagues,

We are pleased to invite you to our Transforming Urban Governance conference in Melbourne in mid 2019. The Call for Papers is below, we are seeking abstracts by 20 February 2019.

Please feel free to circulate to your own networks.

Transformative Urban Governance Conference
26 and 27 June 2019
Centre for Urban Research
RMIT University, Melbourne

Call for Papers

In an increasingly fractured, unequal and warming world, we need to rethink and redesign how we collectively govern our relationships to place for social and ecological flourishing. Whose rights are at stake, what futures are possible, which natures matter, and who gets to say are critical questions that form the focus of the 2019 Transformative Urban Governance conference in Melbourne, Australia.

Hosted by the Centre for Urban Research at RMIT, this two day conference seeks to bring together scholars, activists, practitioners and policy-makers into lively debate to help reframe how we think and practice urban governance in an unequal, warming world. The conference will be held at RMIT University, which is on the unceded sovereign lands of the Woiwurrung and Boonwurrung speaking peoples of the Kulin Nation, in the city now known as Melbourne. In hosting the conference we pay respect to the Elders past, present and emerging of all Kulin peoples and invite conversations that honour our collective obligation to Kulin Country, peoples and cultures.

Confirmed keynote speakers include: Professor Margit Mayer, Freie Universitat Berlin; Professor Sue Parnell, University of Bristol; and Professor Michele Acuto, University of Melbourne.

This Call for Papers invites contributions that speak to the following themes:

  *   The connections between governance, urbanisation, colonisation and ecological disruption and transformation
  *   The possibilities of collective action, contest and the politics of transformation
  *   Theorising urban governance from and in contexts of deep inequality and ecological fragmentation
  *   Unsettling assumptions about what governance ‘is’ and who does it, particularly in colonial and settler-colonial contexts

We invite 250 word abstracts addressing the conference themes and questions. Please email to: wendy.steele at rmit.edu.au<mailto:wendy.steele at rmit.edu.au> by 20 February 2019.

Organising Committee
Prof Libby Porter
A/Prof Wendy Steele
A/Prof Martin Mulligan
Dr Laura Mumaw

--

Professor Libby Porter
Centre for Urban Research

I respectfully acknowledge the peoples of the Woiwurrung and Boonwurrung / Bunurong speaking peoples, their Elders past, present and future, on whose unceded sovereign lands I live and work.

My latest book
Planning in Indigenous Australia: From imperial foundations to postcolonial futures<https://www.routledge.com/Planning-in-Indigenous-Australia-From-Imperial-Foundations-to-Postcolonial/Jackson-Porter-Johnson/p/book/9781138909984>

Things I'm interested in that you might be too:
Planning Theory and Practice - https://sites.google.com/site/planningtheoryandpractice/home
INURA - www.inura.org<http://www.inura.org>
Planners Network - www.plannersnetwork.org<http://www.plannersnetwork.org>
Planners Network UK - www.pnuk.org.uk<http://www.pnuk.org.uk>