[Iag-list] CFP: IAG 2019 Mobilising Colour in Geographical Research: vibrancies, saturations and more-than-visual methods

Diti Bhattacharya diti.bhattacharya at griffithuni.edu.au
Tue Jan 22 11:20:15 AEDT 2019

CFP Institute of Australian Geographers Conference 2019
Geographies of emergence, divergence and convergence
9-13 July 2019, Hobart, Tasmania
 www.iagc2019.com<http://www.iagc2019.com>

Session: Mobilising Colour in Geographical Research: vibrancies, saturations and more-than-visual methods
Convenors: Diti Bhattacharya, Tim Edensor and Kaya Barry
Study Group: Cultural Geography

This session considers how colour shapes our perception (hue, light, saturation) and experience of the world. While visual methods have a strong tradition in geographical enquiry, the role of colour has been under examined. How are landscapes and places toned by distinctive colours? What divergent values and sensory responses shape how we make sense of these coloured realms? How does colour inform our methods and ethnographies? How might colour work with or against dominant representations, aesthetic conventions, and creative practices? How might attunement to colour offer potential stimulus to the emergence or convergence of new practices of making space?
We explore the vibrancy, potency, and aesthetics of colour – in both everyday encounters and in particularly the role of colour in geographical methods. Possible themes that theoretical, empirical, or creative papers may address, but are not limited to:
- Placemaking and colour,
- The relations between colours,
- Human capacities for perceiving and sensing with colour,
- The cultural values of colour,
- Colours of landscapes,
- Writing, making and representing with colour,
- More-than-visual apprehensions of colour.

Please submit a 150 word abstract before 28 February via the conference website at https://cdesign.eventsair.com/2019-iag/abstracts and email a copy to the session convenors: d.bhattacharya at griffith.edu.au, k.barry at griffith.edu.au and d t.edensor at mmu.ac.uk

 Kind Regards,

Diti