[Iag-list] CfP Granular Geographies | Institute of Australian Geographers

Vanessa Lamb vanessa.lamb at unimelb.edu.au
Thu Jan 24 18:59:31 AEDT 2019

CFP Institute of Australian Geographers Conference 2019 ‘Geographies of emergence, divergence and convergence’

9-13 July 2019, Hobart, Tasmania  www.iagc2019.com<http://www.iagc2019.com/>

Session Title: Granular Geographies: sensing the materiality of stone, sand and soil

Sponsored by: the IAG Cultural Geography and the Critical Development Study Groups

Convenors:  Uma Kothari (University of Manchester and University of Melbourne) and Vanessa Lamb (University of Melbourne)

Stone, sand and soil are composed of small grains, yet we rarely think of their singularity, instead focusing on the discrete objects that they collectively constitute. In this session, we explore the sensory, affective and productive capacities of these substances, and seek to better conceptualize how these granular entities are integral to the material world. We aim to investigate how their excavation, accumulation and circulation produces human and non-human entanglements, and connects people and places to create granular geographies. We also examine how political tensions around these processes are intensifying with their growing demand and scarcity.

Please submit your abstracts (150 words) online via the conference website  https://cdesign.eventsair.com/2019-iag/abstracts<https://cdesign.eventsair.com/2019-iag/abstracts>  and email the session convenors uma.kothari at manchester.ac.uk<mailto:uma.kothari at manchester.ac.uk> and vanessa.lamb at unimelb.edu.au<mailto:vanessa.lamb at unimelb.edu.au>. The deadline for submission of abstracts is 28 February 2019.

Best wishes

Uma Kothari and Vanessa Lamb

Vanessa Lamb | Lecturer, School of Geography

Level 2 (Rm 2.35), 221 Bouverie Street

The University of Melbourne, Victoria 3053 Australia

T: +61 3 90358974  E: vanessa.lamb at unimelb.edu.au

W: <http://vanessalamb.org> vanessalamb.org<http://vanessalamb.org> and Unimelb Expert Page<https://www.findanexpert.unimelb.edu.au/display/person783903>

New research article in Gender, Place & Culture titled  "Who knows the river? Gender, expertise, and the politics of local ecological knowledge production<https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.1080/0966369X.2018.1481018>."