[Iag-list] Second CFP – Housing Theory Symposium "Housing In/formality", Sydney 30-31 May 2019

Jathan Sadowski jathan.sadowski at sydney.edu.au
Tue Jan 29 12:44:09 AEDT 2019

We would like to invite abstracts to the following CFP for the Housing Theory Symposium 2019, to be held at the University of Sydney. We also advise that papers accepted for the symposium will have the opportunity to submit to a special issue on “Informal Housing Practices” in the International Journal of Housing Policy, edited by Prof Nicole Gurran, Dr Pranita Shrestha, and Dr Sophia Maalsen.

Housing In/formality

Housing Theory Symposium 2019
May 30-31st 2019, The University of Sydney

Housing emerges through the intersection of formal and informal processes. Traditionally, housing and urban informality has been associated with the Global South, but an emerging body of literature is looking at how informality materializes in the North. Who decides what and where is in/formal? How do different groups experience the effects of in/formality? Roy (2005) positions informality as a political construct and highlights the power of the state in defining informality, but there is a larger suite of actors involved in defining, making, and living with in/formality, including local residents and corporations.

In this symposium, we invite papers that problematize and unpack what “informal” means for housing through theoretical and empirical analysis. Papers could address the following topics, although this is not an exhaustive list:

  *   The dialectic between formality and informality
  *   Is in/formality worth pursuing?
  *   How is in/formality constructed?
  *   What actors define in/formality?
  *   What are the opportunities and restrictions of in/formality?
  *   How is in/formality in housing experienced?
  *   What theoretical contributions can a focus on housing provide to the debate on in/formality?

We invite abstracts of no more than 300 words to be submitted by February 18th 2019. Authors will be notified of the outcome of their submissions by March 1st 2019.

Please submit papers to Sophia Maalsen (Sophia.maalsen at sydney.edu.au<mailto:Sophia.maalsen at sydney.edu.au>) and Jathan Sadowski (jathan.sadowski at sydney.edu.au<mailto:jathan.sadowski at sydney.edu.au>).

Kind regards
Sophia and Jathan

--
Dr. Jathan Sadowski | Postdoctoral Research Fellow in Smart Cities
School of Architecture, Design and Planning | The University of Sydney