[Iag-list] Historical maps - research into Aboriginal cultural landscapes

Brendan Whyte obiwonfive at hotmail.com
Thu May 30 15:51:47 AEST 2019

For anyone who missed Bess Moylan’s talk during Reconciliation Week at the National Library in Canberra, or want to read a little further - her blog - https://www.nla.gov.au/stories/blog/behind-the-scenes/2019/05/24/decolonising-historical-maps
The recorded lecture is available via the NLA Facebook page - https://www.facebook.com/National.Library.of.Australia/

Bess is a Spatial Scientist and an Honorary Associate at the School of Geosciences, University of Sydney who took up a Patrons’ Research Fellowship at the NLA this March. Since then, she has been working with the Maps collection and library staff, doing some critical work in bringing into view Indigenous information on maps, and the ways in which libraries can improve access, and support research into Aboriginal cultural landscapes.
>From a maps collection and curatorial point of view, the Fellowship has been a great opportunity to engage with communities, and, for a range of staff from cataloguers to management, has brought renewed appreciation of both the value of maps in revealing indigenous content, and how as libraries and archives, we can remove barriers to access and add value to cartographic materials, whether these are stock route maps, aerial photos and topographic maps, pastoral and property maps, or the maps of early explorers.
>From a map-cataloguing perspective, Bess’ project has complemented existing work by the Library to incorporate Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander languages protocols such as AUSTLANG<http://ourlanguages.org.au/name-copy/austlang/> into its processes, and helped introduce a spatial perspective previously lacking in some key parts of the NLA collections.

Please distribute this to anyone you feel would be interested, and I’m happy to discuss the project and outcomes in more detail, put you in touch with Bess or share the findings when her placement concludes in early July.

Dr Martin Woods
Senior Curator, Maps & Research Programs
National Library of Australia
Parkes Place, Parkes, ACT 2600
' + 61 2 6262 1280  M 0404 193 366
•mwoods at nla.gov.au<mailto:mwoods at nla.gov.au>