[Iag-list] Upcoming NSW State Library events

Brendan Whyte obiwonfive at hotmail.com
Fri Jun 7 13:58:39 AEST 2019

Good Afternoon,

The NSW State Library has 4  upcoming activities which you may interest Sydney-based geographers or students

Launch into Library Research:  Using Maps for Historical Research
Thursday 20 June 10 am to 4.30 pm

The State Library is dedicating an entire day to researching our extensive maps collection.

If you’re new to using maps for research come along to the Library as we pull out some of our favourite items.

Learn about Sydney’s subdivision plans, early maps of NSW, historic world maps, and much more.

With hands-on help from our expert librarians, you'll be navigating our online catalogue like a pro in no time.

Bookings essential: https://www.sl.nsw.gov.au/…/launch-library-research-using-m…<https://www.sl.nsw.gov.au/events/launch-library-research-using-maps-historical-research-0?fbclid=IwAR1ZLZrHHezLPhS4xb7mBxVY3bP5KdfZQg_OUWwdjd5A1ndXG-XKsHArWvU>

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

“Xavier Mertz - Tracing a Fatal Journey”

Friday 5 July 2019 from 5.45 pm to 8.00 pm
State Library of New South Wales, Metcalfe Auditorium

Join us for a screening which celebrates Xavier Mertz’ life and takes us on the journey of this young adventurer.
Following the screening, material including maps from the Library's  AAE collection on the Aurora Expedition and Xavier Mertz will be on display and refreshments will be served.
Refreshments will be provided.
This is a free event presented  in partnership with the Consulate General of Switzerland in Sydney and the Mawson’s Hut Foundation
Bookings essential: https://www.sl.nsw.gov.au/events/xavier-mertz-tracing-fatal-journey
_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Cartographica: a curator’s talk – Margaret Betteridge

Wednesday  31 July 2019 from 5.30 pm to 6.30 pm
Customs  House Library, 31 Alfred Street, Sydney
Level  2 meeting room

In  this special curator’s illustrated talk, the City’s Curator, Margaret Betteridge, will share some of the highlights of her exhibition Cartographica:  Sydney on the Map.

This exhibition brings together  a series of reproduced maps with a focus on Sydney, captured through the cartographic traditions of mapmakers.

Come and hear about the different  ways we navigate and represent our city, as seen through the maps in the exhibition.

The exhibition is on at Customs House right now and will be open until 7 pm on the night. So why not take the time  to view the exhibition before or after Margaret’s talk.

Refreshments will be provided.

This is a free event but please RSVP to maggie.patton at sl.nsw.gov.au<mailto:maggie.patton at sl.nsw.gov.au>  by 29 July

https://whatson.cityofsydney.nsw.gov.au/events/cartographica-sydney-on-the-map

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
September 24 - 25, 2019

Mapping In Action - Australian and New Zealand Map Society Annual Conference

The 49th annual  ANZMapS conference will  be held at the National  Library of Australia, Canberra on Tue  24 and Wed 25 September 2019.
The theme for the conference is Mapping  in Action. The Conference Committee is now seeking submissions for papers/presentations.

Tell us how maps and spatial science help us interact with, interpret and understand society, the environment, history and science.

Call  for Papers
Abstract submissions (200 words): submit here<mailto:maps at nla.gov.au?subject=2019%20ANZMapS%20Conference%20paper%20submission>
Deadline for submission: Friday  31 July 2019.
The Dorothy  Prescott Prize<https://www.anzmaps.org/about/dorothy-prescott-prize/> for best presentation  will receive $500 and publication  in The  Globe<https://www.anzmaps.org/the-globe-journal/>.
A special student prize of $1000 for best p[presentation (with the option of publishing in The  Globe<https://www.anzmaps.org/the-globe-journal/>.)

Further information: https://www.anzmaps.org/events/2019-conference-mapping-in-action/

Looking forward to seeing you at one or more of these events!
Regards,
Maggie
<http://www.sl.nsw.gov.au/>

Maggie Patton
Manager, Research and Discovery
maggie.patton at sl.nsw.gov.au<mailto:maggie.patton at sl.nsw.gov.au>
+61 2 9273 1709

Macquarie Street, Sydney NSW 2000, Australia
www.sl.nsw.gov.au<http://www.sl.nsw.gov.au>