[Iag-list] Cultural Geography Study Group: Thank you and future plans

Michelle Duffy Michelle.Duffy at newcastle.edu.au
Wed Jul 17 14:47:55 AEST 2019

Hi everyone

Michele Lobo, Vickie Zhang and I would like to thank everyone who participated in the documentary film workshop with Molly Reynolds and the IAG sessions hosted and supported by the Cultural Geography Study Group. We had 14 sessions, 1 sound installation, and 94 presenters or session convenors! Thank you to all who participated, including a big thank you to our audience members and their lively engagement.

FUTURE PLANS
All of this demonstrates the richness of cultural geography in Australia and it is important to keep this momentum and enthusiasm going. So there are a number of ways we hope to do this:

  1.  The IAG website does not readily allow us to communicate beyond those who have IAG membership, so we have set up a website at cultgeogau.wordpress.com<http://cultgeogau.wordpress.com/>

After feedback from the study group meeting, we are preparing to update our website to better promote cultural geography in Australia. This update will include a listings page for such things as events, books, papers, and graduations. A mailing list email will be sent around about this when the website is updated soon.

  1.  This website will soon have a twitter hashtag and feed, and a ‘submission’ page for those who would like to promote events, 2018 and 2019 publications, and other activities related to cultural geography. You can access this via https://cultgeogau.wordpress.com/submit/

  1.  We also plan to have a regular, bi-annual cultural geography newsletter where we can promote the work cultural geographers are undertaking, upcoming events and the like. Submissions can be made via the link https://cultgeogau.wordpress.com/submit/

  1.  Session participants will be added to our (sporadic) emailing list, and you can let us know if you would like to opt out

INCOMING CULTURAL GEOGRAPHY STUDY GROUP CONVENOR
We are seeking an incoming convenor for the cultural geography study group. Originally the convenor position was held by someone in permanent employment, however, the change to the ways in which academics are now employed means that this excludes a significant number of people who would otherwise be interested in this role. This role also offers experience and opportunities for developing your career and is therefore especially important for ECRs.

We do need to mindful that taking on this role doesn’t adversely impact the incumbent, as the expectation has been that you would have access to some institutional support. The role involves coordinating the cultural geography sessions of the IAG, as well as devising other activities (which would include funding application and budget management). The expectation is that you spend a total of 6 years in this position, which involves 2 years as an incoming convenor, then 2 years as the convenor and finally 2 years as outgoing convenor. This structure and timeframe have been important to the sustainability of the cultural geography study group because of the support and guidance provided to new convenors and the convenor team as a whole.

Following the discussion at the study group meeting, we would like to open an expression of interest to include those who may be employed in a contract position.

If you are interested, please submit an EOI outlining what you would like to bring to the role of convenor. This could include shaping particular directions for cultural geography research through such events as workshops and symposia or inviting international speakers.

If you have any questions about this, please don’t hesitate to contact me (Michelle.Duffy at newcastle.edu.au) or Michele Lobo (Michele.Lobo at deakin.edu.au)

PhD CONVENOR
Following discussion at the study group meeting, it was decided that this role would be held for 2 years. This means that Vickie Zhang will continue in this role for another 12 months – and we thank Vickie for all the wonderful work has done so far

NEWCASTLE SYMPOSIUM: Liminal Zones
A brief reminder that this will be held November 15 at the Newcastle city campus. Further information will be sent through the email list and provided on the website cultgeogau.wordpress.com<http://cultgeogau.wordpress.com/>. There is an RSVP date – if you are attending please let Michelle Duffy (Michelle.Duffy at newcastle.edu.au) know by 31 October.

Kind regards

Associate Professor Michelle Duffy, Current convenor
Dr Michele Lobo, Outgoing convenor
Ms Vickie Zhang, PhD convenor

Associate Professor Michelle Duffy
Human Geography
Program Convenor of the Bachelor of Development Studies
School of Environmental and Life Sciences
Faculty of Science

T: + 61 2 492 15097
E: Michelle.Duffy at newcastle.edu.au<mailto:Michelle.Duffy at newcastle.edu.au>

The University of Newcastle (UON)
University Drive, Callaghan NSW 2308 Australia
[iversity of Newcastle]<http://www.newcastle.edu.au/>
[cid:image002.png at 01D53CAE.9DF569A0]
[rld Needs New]<http://www.newcastle.edu.au/new>

Ranked in the top 1% of universities in the world by
QS World University Rankings 2017/18

CRICOS Provider 00109J

I acknowledge the Aboriginal custodians of the land in the region where I live and work, the Awabakal and Worimi peoples. I acknowledge the Elders, past, present and future, and Country itself.