[Iag-list] Survey of India 1:126,720 series digitised

Brendan Whyte obiwonfive at hotmail.com
Fri Aug 2 14:10:10 AEST 2019

Colleagues,

The National Library of Australia is pleased to announce that all 1236 of its Survey of India 1:126,720 topo sheets have now been digitised and can be viewed and freely downloaded (600dpi tif or lower-res jpg) at http://nla.gov.au/nla.obj-234359787/view
The series covers much of pre-independence British India (modern Pakistan, India, Bangladesh and Burma), giving detailed topography and social and industrial infrastructure.

This 2-mile to the inch series joins
478 sheets of the Survey of India's 4-mile series (1:253,440) digitised earlier this year
https://nla.gov.au/nla.obj-232825539
and 42 sheets of a 4-mile series of Burma digitised previously
https://catalogue.nla.gov.au/Record/5975698

I would be pleased to hear from anyone who finds these maps useful in their work/research.
Please forward this news to South Asian scholars in your address books.

We also have several thousand 1:63,360 (one-inch to the mile) sheets of South Asia and Burma, and are looking for collaborative sponsorship to help digitise these.
https://catalogue.nla.gov.au/Record/948209
https://catalogue.nla.gov.au/Record/5848778
Please contact me if interested!

We are also digitising 20,000 Australian maps each year, and are currently working through various WA and NSW series:  topographic, cadastral and other themes, after having worked through most of Tasmania, NT and SA.
Again, please let me know if/how this freely-available online mapping is useful in your research.

Brendan

Dr Brendan Whyte
Curator of Maps
National Library of Australia