[Iag-list] Decolonising Cultural Heritage and Museum Studies Conference

David Kelly david.kelly at deakin.edu.au
Tue Oct 29 10:43:15 AEDT 2019

Decolonising Cultural Heritage and Museum Studies Conference
Deakin University, Melbourne (Burwood), Wednesday November 13 – Thursday November 14 2019

https://adi.deakin.edu.au/events/decolonising-chms

Keynote Presentations
Steve Brown (GML Heritage) and Denis Rose (Gunditj Mirring Traditional Owners Aboriginal Corporation)
Julie Gough (Tasmanian Museum and Art Gallery)
Philip Schorch (Ludwig-Maximilians-University of Munich, Germany)
Full program available at the conference website

Conference Themes
It is now 40 years since Deakin University began its Museum Studies program in 1979. In celebrating this milestone, we are organising a conference that responds to the enormous changes over that time, both in the fields of museum practice and the wider field of cultural heritage. Given our location in Australia, a settler society, our focus takes its bearing from the increasing pressure on museums, archives and heritage places to ‘decolonise’ their practices and relations with Indigenous and First Nations People. The ‘Decolonising Cultural Heritage and Museum Studies’ conference thus seeks to broaden and deepen the cross-disciplinary and cross-sector conversation about new practices, interpretations and lives for collected materials across the GLAM sector, as well as heritage places shaped by colonial contexts. Informed by histories of the production of colonial knowledge and responding to new and interdisciplinary directions in collection theory and research, heritage management and interpretation, this conference will bring together researchers, practitioners, industry partners, and artists to discuss the critical elements of working with and through collections and heritage places within a Decolonising impulse.

We are particularly interested in the ongoing debates and innovations that have arisen from confronting the colonial history of many collections and heritage places. Can collecting institutions, such as museums and archives, be ‘decolonised’ or are more radical decentrings of institutional power required? Can heritage places that speak to the complexity of the colonial encounter be interpreted in ways that respect and advocate for Indigenous Perspectives on those encounters? What does Indigenous sovereignty mean for scholars, practitioners and institutions engaging with or holding collections in Australia and elsewhere? What does it mean for those managing Indigenous heritage places as well as places of shared heritage? How can we do a better job of embodying Indigenous knowledges? We are also concerned with new technologies and creative responses to collections. What is gained, lost or hidden through the digitization and/or online exhibition of materials? What are the technological risks and opportunities facing collections today? How are artists and other creative responders engaging with collections to illuminate, challenge and inform? How do we work with the next generation of professionals to address these issues?

Registration and full Program available at:

https://adi.deakin.edu.au/events/decolonising-chms

Location
Deakin University
221 Burwood Highway
Burwood, VIC 3125
Australia (map)<https://www.google.com/maps/place/221+Burwood+Hwy,+Burwood+VIC+3125/@-37.8467404,145.1129241,17z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m5!3m4!1s0x6ad6405e09798c75:0x8b743ee115d710f6!8m2!3d-37.8467404!4d145.1151128>

***

Deakin Heritage Seminar: Decolonising the Museum
Deakin University, Melbourne (Deakin Downtown), Tuesday November 12 2019, 17:00 – 18:30

The final Deakin Heritage Seminar for 2019 explores the theme of decolonising the museum. Please join us as we hear from Indigenous curators who will share some of the issues they are facing in their own curatorial practice, and on the factors they consider key to decolonising how Australian museums work today.

Participants
Kimberley Moulton (Melbourne Museum)
Damien Webb (Mitchell Library, Sydney)
Michael Aird (Museum of Anthropology UQ)

Moderator
Genevieve Grieves (Freelance Consultant)

This event is free, but limited tickets are available.

Registration available at:
https://www.eventbrite.com.au/e/heritage-seminar-decolonising-the-museum-tickets-78913401107

Location
Deakin Downtown
Tower 2
Level 12 / 727 Collins Street
Melbourne, VIC 3008
(map)<https://www.eventbrite.com.au/e/heritage-seminar-decolonising-the-museum-tickets-78913401107#map-target>

Please email chms at deakin.edu.au<mailto:chms at deakin.edu.au> if you have any questions.

Anne Faithfull
PhD Student

Alfred Deakin Institute of Citizenship and Globalisation
School of Humanities and Social Science

[cid:image001.jpg at 01D587F9.CBD52E50]

Deakin University
221 Burwood Highway
Burwood, VIC 3125
Australia

0430 474 227
anne.faithfull at deakin.edu.au<mailto:jcross at immense.net>
www.deakin.edu.au<http://www.deakin.edu.au/>
Deakin University CRICOS Provider Code 00113B

Important Notice: The contents of this email are intended solely for the named addressee and are confidential; any unauthorised use, reproduction or storage of the contents is expressly prohibited. If you have received this email in error, please delete it and any attachments immediately and advise the sender by return email or telephone.

Deakin University does not warrant that this email and any attachments are error or virus free.