[Iag-list] Final reminder: Virtual Symposium - Cultivating Creative Conversations and Critical Connections in Development Theory, Thurs 5 Dec 2019

Fiona Miller fiona.miller at mq.edu.au
Wed Nov 20 12:23:45 AEDT 2019

Dear All,

Final reminder for our upcoming virtual symposium - see details below.

------

The IAG Critical Development Study Group (CDSG) is pleased to announce a virtual symposium to be held across six locations in Australia and Aotearoa/New Zealand on Thursday 5 December 2019. The aim of this symposium is to focus on the intersection of a number of broad theoretical areas, including post-development, post-colonial and political ecology theory and the environmental humanities in order to rethink our understandings of and approaches to development. The symposium aims to facilitate conversations across different theoretical concerns, identify synergies, and encourage networking amongst scholars interested in issues of justice, equity, flourishing and society-nature relations. Potential themes include:

  *   Decolonising pedagogies
  *   Community economies
  *   Enclosure and displacement
  *   Loss and extinction
  *   More-than-human development
  *   Biopolitics
  *   Development in the Anthropocene

The virtual symposium will be held at multiple locations across Australia and Aotearoa/New Zealand. Members of the CDSG from Macquarie University, the University of Newcastle, James Cook University, the University of Western Australia, the University of Melbourne, and the University of Canterbury have volunteered to co-lead a node. Each node will take the lead for organising presentations for their allotted time period. Participants will provide short provocations on theory (approx. 10 minutes) followed by an open discussion and Q&A session.

If you are interested in participating please contact one of the following node co-leaders with a title and brief abstract (2-3 lines) before Friday 22 November 2019, in order to assist us with planning the program:

Christchurch, University of Canterbury - Kelly Dombroski - kelly.dombroski at canterbury.ac.nz

Cairns, James Cook University - Kearrin Sims - kearrin.sims at jcu.edu.au

Newcastle, University of Newcastle - Sarah Wright - sarah.wright at newcastle.edu.au

Sydney, Macquarie University - Fiona Miller - fiona.miller at mq.edu.au

Melbourne, University of Melbourne - Andrew Deuchar - adeuchar at student.unimelb.edu.au

Perth, University of Western Australia - Petra Tschakert petra.tschakert at uwa.edu.au

We gratefully acknowledge funding from the IAG to assist with costs for PhD students, ECRs or those on short-term contracts, to travel to their nearest node to participate in the symposium. If you are interested in applying for funds, please contact Fiona Miller (fiona.miller at mq.edu.au) before 22 November 2019.

Our symposium aims to be theoretically provocative, inclusive, accessible, and carbon-neutral!

Kind regards,

Fiona Miller, Andrew Deuchar and Sarah Wright

Co-convenors of the IAG Critical Development Study Group

--
Dr Fiona Miller
Senior Lecturer |  HDR Director

Recent publications:

Miller, F. and McGregor A. (2019), ‘Rescaling political ecology? World regional approaches to climate change in the Asia Pacific’, Progress in Human Geography, 1-20 https://doi.org/10.1177/0309132519849292<https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/nFkXCOMK7YcvPr0qivNaaN?domain=doi.org>

Miller, F. (2019) “Exploring the consequences of climate-related displacement for just resilience in Vietnam”, Special Issue: Environmental Governance for Urban Resilience in the Asia-Pacific, Urban Studies, https://doi.org/10.1177/0042098019830239<https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/D8_eCP7L1Nf56vAWt0RMLQ?domain=doi.org>

Miller, F. (2019) Editorial for Special Issue: Climate-related displacement in the Asia Pacific: Justice, rights and culture, Asia Pacific Viewpoint, 60 (2): 111-117 https://doi:10.1111/apv.12243
<https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/D8_eCP7L1Nf56vAWt0RMLQ?domain=doi.org>Miller, F. and Dun, O. (2019) Resettlement and the environment in Vietnam: implications for climate change adaptation planning, Asia Pacific Viewpoint, 60(2): 132-147 https://doi.org/10.1111/apv.12228

Alam, A. and Miller, F. (2019) Slow, small and shared voluntary relocations: learning from Bangladesh, Asia Pacific Viewpoint, https://doi.org/10.1111/apv.12244

I acknowledge Macquarie University stands on the lands of the Darug Nation. I respect Elders, past, present, and future and recognise the continuity of knowledge that nurtures Country and community.

[cid:7840f46d-a694-433b-8dfc-a44ab6d0f641]

[Macquarie University]<http://mq.edu.au/>
CRICOS Provider Number 00002J. Think before you print. Please consider the environment before printing this email. This message is intended for the addressee named and may contain confidential information. If you are not the intended recipient, please delete it and notify the sender. Views expressed in this message are those of the individual sender, and are not necessarily the views of Macquarie University.