[Iag-list] Passing of Professor Richard Grove

Kuntala Lahiri-Dutt kuntala.lahiri-dutt at anu.edu.au
Fri Jun 26 03:11:30 UTC 2020

Dear colleagues,

I am sad to let you know that Professor Richard Grove, formerly of Resource Management in Asia Pacific Program, Research School of Pacific & Asian Studies (RSPAS) at the ANU, has passed away earlier this morning at 2-30am GMT in Royal Sussex Hospital, Brighton, in the United Kingdom. He is survived by his wife, Professor Vinita Damodaran, and their son, Edwin Krishna.

Richard held a Laureate Fellowship from the Australian Research Council when he was seriously injured in a car accident in November 2006. Since then, he has been cared for by Vinita in their family home in Lewes. I met them in their home in September last year; Richard knew that I was visiting and was delighted. Lately, he had not been keeping well and was admitted to the hospital with a number of ailments.

Originally trained as a Geographer, Richard is highly respected around the world for his pioneering contributions to the understanding of colonial environmental history. More about his work can be found here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_Grove

If you want to convey personal messages of condolence, please write to Vinita – v.damodaran at sussex.ac.uk<mailto:v.damodaran at sussex.ac.uk>.

Best wishes

Kuntala Lahiri-Dutt