[Iag-list] Registrations open: Geographers Declare? Workshopping the Declaration of the climate and biodiversity emergency by Australian Geographers

Susannah Clement sc527 at uowmail.edu.au
Thu Sep 17 08:08:59 UTC 2020

Geographers Declare? Workshopping the Declaration of the climate and biodiversity emergency by Australian Geographers

Free online Zoom workshop

Tuesday 13th October 2020, 9:30am - 2:30pm

Register here: https://forms.gle/Ckeh1DCrMggm2Str8

*Background*

Hundreds of governments industries, organisations, peak bodies and academic collectives have ‘declared’ a climate emergency and called for immediate action on climate change. We note, however, that there has not been a declaration of a climate emergency from geographers in Australia. As a discipline whose members are firmly embedded in research, teaching and advocacy about climate change, and have a strong sense of environmental and social justice, we found this surprising.

*The workshop*

This workshop aims to begin developing the framework for a climate emergency declaration or manifesto to be endorsed by geographers in Australia and the societies that represent them. We encourage attendance from HDRs, ECRs, geography teachers, and others outside of the traditional academy to participate, alongside casual and tenured academics, support staff, masters and undergraduate students, i.e. anyone trained in, researching and/or teaching geography in Australia.

The first half of the workshop will be a panel session where panellists explore and respond to the question of a climate and biodiversity emergency declaration from geographers. Panellists will be announced soon.

The second half will be more interactive, with broader discussions where participants get together in ‘huddles’ to expand on the themes and questions raised by the panel. The outcomes of the workshop are open, but we do hope that we end up with a scope of principles, values or action plan for the creation of a declaration or manifesto. We hope you can join us.

The workshop will be recorded and released in part as a podcast. We encourage those who want to but cannot attend to register.

This free workshop is supported by the Geographical Society of NSW and the Australian Centre for Culture, Environment, Society and Space (ACCESS), University of Wollongong.

For questions about the workshop please contact Susannah Clement and Carrie Wilkinson by emailing geographersdeclareau at gmail.com

Dr Susannah Clement
Honorary Associate Fellow
Australian Centre for Culture, Environment, Society and Space
University of Wollongong NSW 2522 Australia

Carrie Wilkinson

PhD Candidate| School of Geography & Sustainable Communities | Faculty of Social Sciences

Research Assistant | Centre for Environmental Risk Management of Bushfires (CERMB) | School of Earth, Atmospheric and Life Sciences | Faculty of Science, Medicine and Health

University of Wollongong NSW 2522 Australia

We acknowledge the Traditional Owners of the lands we live, work, travel and learn and pay respects to Elders past, present and future.