[Iag-list] Geography and collective memories through art

Diti Bhattacharya d.bhattacharya at griffith.edu.au
Wed Oct 7 05:40:26 UTC 2020

With apologies for cross-posting

We look forward to your EOIs

EOIs to register for our 2021 workshop on 'Geography and Collective Memories Through Art' (4-5 Feb 2021) are now open:  https://memoriesthroughart.wordpress.com<https://t.co/DapqEeE5u4?amp=1>

In this workshop, we examine and experiment with the cultural and political potential of ‘memory through art’ in a geographical enquiry.  We will facilitate creative practise, discussion, collaboration, and for those interested, produce a Special Issue of Australian Geographer (2022). The workshop explores the themes of memory, art, and geographical knowledge to motivate a creative dialogue among geographers, artists, and activists. We ask what does art do to geographies of memory? Moving beyond methodological debates we focus on art mediums as these bring to light the affective and political forces of place speaking to timely and important issues such as climate change, migration, peace, and conflict. The proposed workshop will also centre artistic interventions from Southern epistemologies as these continue to be underrepresented in Australian geography and humanities.

The workshop is organised by Laura Rodriguez Castro, Diti Bhattacharya, Kaya Barry and Prof. Barbara Pini

For questions about the workshop please contact Diti Bhattacharya (d.bhattacharya at griffith.edu.au) or Laura Rodriguez Castro (l.rodriguezcastro at griffith.edu.au)

Dr. Diti Bhattacharya
Resident Adjunct Research Fellow
Griffith Centre for Social and Cultural Research

Email: ditibhattacharya at gmail.com/ d.bhattacharya at griffith.edu.au
Twitter handle: @ditstaaa

I acknowledge the people who are the traditional custodians of the land, pay respect to the Elders, past, present and emerging and extend that respect to other Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples.