[Iag-list] Virtual discussion event – Weather: Spaces, Mobilities and Affects - 10 Feb, 9pm AEDT / 9am GMT

Kaya Barry k.barry at griffith.edu.au
Wed Jan 20 23:49:10 UTC 2021

Hello all,
Please find below details of a virtual discussion on 'weather'.
Best wishes,
Kaya
---------

Virtual discussion event – Weather: Spaces, Mobilities and Affects
Wednesday 10th February, via Zoom
8pm AEDT / 9am GMT / 10pm NZDT

To launch the new collection Weather: Spaces, Mobilities and Affects (Routledge 2021), edited by Kaya Barry, Maria Borovnik, Tim Edensor, we are holding a virtual discussion event with contributing authors. We will delve into the everyday spaces, diverse mobilities, and affective potency of weather.

Join us for short talks from: Kimberley Peters (University of Oldenburg), Ole B Jensen (Aalborg University), Susannah Clement (University of Wollongong), Beth Cullen (University of Westminster), and the editors Tim Edensor (Manchester Metropolitan University), Maria Borovnik (Massey University) and Kaya Barry (Griffith University).

Please register via Eventbrite: https://www.eventbrite.com.au/e/virtual-discussion-event-weather-spaces-mobilities-and-affects-tickets-137229997617

The book considers how everyday experiences of weather in the mundane lives of people are linked to broader changes in weather patterns and climate change. Heat, dust, ice, snow, precipitation, sunlight, clouds, tides and fog are states of weather that impact on the ways in which humans become intertwined with landscapes. Our experiences with weather are diverse and ever-changing, and engaging with weather entangles humans with mobilities, materials and landscapes. This book thus explores affective and sensory resonances, drawing upon a variety of theoretical, empirical and creative material to investigate how weather is perceived in different social and cultural contexts. Key themes focus on the mobilities generated by weather, the affective and sensual potency of weather, and the diverse cultural forms and practices that exemplify how weather is historically, geographically and artistically represented.

Further information on the book can be found here: https://www.routledge.com/Weather-Spaces-Mobilities-and-Affects/Barry-Borovnik-Edensor/p/book/9780367406394

Dr Kaya Barry | Postdoctoral Research Fellow
Griffith Centre for Social and Cultural Research
Griffith University  | Nathan | QLD 4111 | Australia
T: +61 (0)7373 57317| M: +61431835064|E: k.barry at griffith.edu.au<mailto:k.barry at griffith.edu.au>  |Twitter: @kayathiea<https://twitter.com/kayathiea>