[Iag-list] Reminder: IAG-NZGS 2021 CFP - Critical approaches to development, justice, and participation in a time of crises

Karen Paiva Henrique karen.paivahenrique at uwa.edu.au
Fri Mar 19 01:42:53 UTC 2021

Dear all,

With the usual apologies for cross-posting. Please consider submitting an abstract for our session "Critical approaches to development, justice, and participation in a time of crises" at the 2021 IAG-NZGS joint conference. We are happy to discuss paper ideas! See details below (and attached).

Best,
Karen (with Fiona and Krishna)
--

CFP: IAG-NZGS Conference 2021, University of Sydney, 6-9 July, 2021

Critical approaches to development, justice, and participation in a time of crises

Session organisers: Karen Paiva Henrique (UWA), Krishna K. Shrestha (UNSW) and Fiona Miller (MQ)
Sponsored by the Critical Development Study Group

We are currently living through and learning how to navigate multiple, concurrent crises. From unprecedented climate-induced disasters to the global pandemic, 2020 has (re)ignited discussions over persistent structural inequalities (who is able to prepare and recover?), unjust on-the-ground effects (who suffers the most?) and often deficient decision-making processes (whose voices count?) in the management of global crises. Achieving sustainable development, justice for all and inclusive participation has gained new urgency, yet defining and translating these concepts into action remains as contentious as ever.

This session invites critical contributions to disentangle and deepen our understanding of development, justice and participation. We welcome papers that explore historical approaches; contextualised successes and persistent obstacles; counter-hegemonic and indigenous epistemologies; and innovative and emancipatory methodologies, to name a few, and are particularly interested in those positioned at the intersection of all three concepts. We aim to broaden discussions on situated, inclusive and just development from below, and co-envision translocal networks of solidarity and care to achieve it in practice.

In addition to standard paper presentations, we are considering organising a one-day writing workshop with authors (especially PhD and ECRs) from selected contributions. We hope to work with them to further develop their papers for a journal special issue.

Please send your abstract to Karen Paiva Henrique <karen.paivahenrique at uwa.edu.au> by 5 April 2021.

The format of the 2021 conference is a hybrid online conference combined with in-person events. We welcome you to join us in your preferred format (please indicate if you will be presenting in person or remotely in your submission).

The full link to conference sessions can be accessed here - https://www.sydney.edu.au/science/news-and-events/events/iagnzgs2021-conference.html

--

Dr Karen Paiva Henrique
Postdoctoral Research Associate
+61 8 6488 2704 | karen.paivahenrique at uwa.edu.au

Recent publications:
_ Pathways to urban transformation: From dispossession to climate justice<https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/10.1177/0309132520962856>. Progress in Human Geography (2020)
_ Taming São Paulo's floods: Dominant discourses, exclusionary practices, and the complicity of the media<https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S0959378018314080?dgcid=author>. Global Environmental Change (2019)
_ Contested grounds: Adaptation to flooding and the politics of (in)visibility in São Paulo's eastern periphery<https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0016718519301411>. Geoforum (2019)

Contributing author:
_ Chapter 5: Sustainable Development, Poverty Eradication and Reducing Inequalities<https://www.ipcc.ch/sr15/chapter/chapter-5/>. IPCC Special Report: Global Warming of 1.5°C (2018)