[Iag-list] Fw: IAG-NZGS Call for Paper: Alternative Urban Imaginaries 2: Storying Radically Interdependent Counter-Cities

Ashraful Alam ash.alam at otago.ac.nz
Tue Apr 13 05:28:00 UTC 2021

 Apology for Cross-Posting

Kia ora colleagues,

We are just a week away from the abstract submission deadline of April 19. Please consider submitting your paper to our session on Alternate Urban Imaginaries II.
The session description is copied below.

Ngā mihi nui
Ash, Donna and Michele

IAG-NZGS Conference 2021, University of Sydney, 6-9 July, 2021

Alternative Urban Imaginaries 2:

Storying Radically Interdependent Counter-Cities

(sponsored by Urban Geography and Cultural Geography Study Group)

Ashraful Alam, Donna Houston, Michele Lobo

Cities play a crucial role in imagining hopeful post-pandemic and planetary futures if openness, radical interdependencies and justice that include and go beyond the human are considered. Imagining these futures are necessary, particularly when western colonial and capitalist (il)logics and promises have failed to deliver diverse, equitable and just cities. How can we come together to design and imagine cities otherwise? Urban geographers are at the forefront of accepting the urgent challenges of the present and seeking alternative imaginaries so that cities are places of radiant and plural becomings. This session is an invitation to conceptualise and think with the Counter-City. We call for storying that values collaboration, interdependencies and experimentation through ideas, performances and case studies that explore city living and collective urban futures. The agenda is to rewrite cities of the Global North/Global South beyond conventional, expert and elitist frames. These ethical-political inquiries might use a representational/more-than representational or human/more-than-human lens to focus on the urban/digital commons, urban infrastructures and undergrounds, social difference (gender, disability, ethnicity, race, sexuality, religion etc), animal/multispecies care/justice, food security/alternative food practices, viral/microbe mobilities, and so forth.

The format of the 2021 conference is a hybrid online conference combined with in-person events. We welcome you to join us in your preferred format.

The abstracts timeline is -

19 April 2021: Abstracts close

Here is the link to abstract submission portal - https://www.sydney.edu.au/science/news-and-events/events/iagnzgs2021-conference/call-for-abstacts.html

[https://www.sydney.edu.au/content/dam/corporate/images/faculty-of-science/news-and-events/2021/july/shine-3-radiance.jpg]<https://www.sydney.edu.au/science/news-and-events/events/iagnzgs2021-conference/call-for-abstacts.html>
Call for abstacts - Faculty of Science<https://www.sydney.edu.au/science/news-and-events/events/iagnzgs2021-conference/call-for-abstacts.html>
Opportunities to present abstracts at the Institute of Australian Geographers and New Zealand Geographical Society combined Conference are now open.
www.sydney.edu.au

Please also send your abstract to Ash (ash.alam at otago.ac.nz<mailto:ash.alam at otago.ac.nz>)