[Iag-list] 2021 ANZMapS Annual conference - save the date!

Brendan Whyte obiwonfive at hotmail.com
Wed Jun 9 07:41:57 UTC 2021

Good Afternoon,

Planning is underway for the Australian and New Zealand Map Society annual conference to be held on the 24 to 26 August at the State Library of New South Wales in Sydney. Please save the dates!

This will be a hybrid conference, onsite at the State Library and streamed online. Our theme will be the Mapping of the Pacific.

For those attending in person, we have a packed program commencing with Welcome drinks and early registration at the Library from 6 pm on Tuesday 24 August in our new Map Rooms , on the first floor of the Mitchell Library.
On the following two days we will have a series of papers, opening with a presentation by Pacific navigator, John Webster Te Kapene Thatcher who will share his experiences on contemporary Pacific voyages and the navigational knowledge required to cross the Pacific without conventional navigation instruments. The first afternoon will feature several overseas speakers including Matthew Edney, Katherine Parker, and Catherin Hofmann.
Our final day will include a tour of the Library's new state- of the-art conservation laboratory. The conference dinner will be held at the Union Club in Bent Street Sydney, preceded by a tour of a special exhibition of Maps at the Club from the collection of Dr Robert Clancy AM. Robert will provide a guided tour of the exhibition.

Those attending online will be provided details on how to join the conference in real time and participate in Q&A sessions.  A link will be provided to the recorded speaker program in the following week for those attendees who are unable to attend the live program, allowing you to watch at a time convenient for your time zone. A small fee will be applied for virtual attendance to ensure we have the best technical infrastructure for reliable online delivery.

The full speaker program and registration details including conference fees will be available soon.

 As always, our Society AGM will be held at the conclusion of the day's programme on Wednesday 25 August.

Watch this space https://www.sl.nsw.gov.au/research-and-collections/research-and-engagement/mapping-pacific-conference
[https://www.sl.nsw.gov.au/sites/default/files/styles/responsive__half_hd/public/a3304001_3000px.jpg?itok=Hfw-hBDb]<https://www.sl.nsw.gov.au/research-and-collections/research-and-engagement/mapping-pacific-conference>
Mapping the Pacific Conference | State Library of NSW<https://www.sl.nsw.gov.au/research-and-collections/research-and-engagement/mapping-pacific-conference>
Welcome to the 2021 conference on Mapping the Pacific hosted by the State Library of New South Wales in Sydney, Australia.
www.sl.nsw.gov.au
Regards,
Maggie

_

[State Library of NSW]<https://www.sl.nsw.gov.au/>
Maggie Patton
Manager, Research and Discovery
maggie.patton at sl.nsw.gov.au<mailto:maggie.patton at sl.nsw.gov.au>
+61 2 9273 1709

Macquarie Street, Sydney NSW 2000, Australia
www.sl.nsw.gov.au<https://www.sl.nsw.gov.au/>