[Iag-list] PEP Talk with Francisco Gelves-Gomez: 'Feeling-Thinking with the Ocean'. June 24, 12:30-1:30pm AEST

Ben Cooke ben.cooke at rmit.edu.au
Fri Jun 18 00:32:32 UTC 2021

RMIT Classification: Trusted

Hi All,

Join us for the next online talk in our series on human-environment relations, hosted by the People and Environment Program<https://cur.org.au/research-programs/people-and-environment/> (PEP) at the RMIT Centre for Urban Research.

Francisco Gelves-Gomez will be presenting ‘Feeling-Thinking with the Ocean’, June 24, 12:30-1:30pm (AEST).

Pablo Neruda wrote, “I need the sea because it teaches me”. In this presentation, with the ocean as a teacher, Francisco considers the lessons offered by the ocean in the context of adaptive management for protected areas, that challenge our inherent terrestrial bias. Francisco explores ways in which thinking (and feeling) with-and-through the ocean offer alternatives to conceive embodied and affective knowledge, and human-nonhuman relationships in more-than-human terms.

Note: the title (paraphrased) borrows from Arturo Escobar’s (2016) paper Thinking-Feeling with the Earth: Territorial struggles and the ontological dimensions of the Epistemologies of the South.

You can sign up via Eventbrite here: https://www.eventbrite.com.au/e/feeling-thinking-with-the-ocean-francisco-gelves-gomez-tickets-160126441497

Keep an eye on the IAG list and @PEP_CUR on Twitter for dates and times for future talks with Angeliki Balanyannis, Bhiamie Williamson, Lisa de Kleyn, Ryan Jones and Jenny Atchison.

We hope to see you there!

Cheers,

Cecily Maller and Ben Cooke

People and Environment Program (PEP)
Centre for Urban Research

Dr Benjamin Cooke
Senior Lecturer
Program Manager: Bachelor of Environment and Society<https://www.rmit.edu.au/study-with-us/levels-of-study/undergraduate-study/bachelor-degrees/bachelor-of-environment-and-society-bp000> & Bachelor of Environmental Science/Environment and Society<https://www.rmit.edu.au/study-with-us/levels-of-study/undergraduate-study/bachelor-degrees/bachelor-of-environmental-sciencebachelor-of-environment-and-society-bp193>
Research Program co-leader: People and Environment<https://cur.org.au/research-programs/people-nature-place/>
Editorial board: Australian Geographer<https://www.tandfonline.com/toc/cage20/current>

Sustainability and Urban Planning Discipline & Centre for Urban Research
School of Global, Urban and Social Studies
RMIT University

Ph: +61 3 9925 9943
Office: 08.11.29

I acknowledge the people of the Woi wurrung and Boon wurrung language groups of the eastern Kulin Nations on whose unceded lands I live and work, respectfully recognising Elders and Ancestors past and present.

Recently published:
The politics of urban greening: an introduction<https://www.dropbox.com/s/69hytb9lsc4bqdt/The%20politics%20of%20urban%20greening_an%20introduction.pdf?dl=0> Australian Geographer
Making ecologies on private land: conservation practice in rural-amenity landscapes<https://www.palgrave.com/gp/book/9783030312176> Palgrave McMillan
Urban greening, property and more-than-human commoning<https://www.dropbox.com/s/urov6x1uvx1ti1y/Urban%20greening%20property%20and%20more%20than%20human%20commoning.pdf?dl=0> Australian Geographer
Shared personal reflections on the need to broaden the scope of conservation social science:<https://www.dropbox.com/s/3kepx6dj3aplfaz/Shared%20personal%20reflections%20on%20the%20need%20to%20broaden%20the%20scope%20of%20conservation%20social%20science.pdf?dl=0> People and Nature
Plant–human commoning: navigating enclosure, neoliberal conservation, and plant mobility in exurban landscapes<https://www.dropbox.com/s/6s0ky7afjeh8w9e/Plant%20Human%20Commoning%20Navigating%20Enclosure%20Neoliberal%20Conservation%20and%20Plant%20Mobility%20in%20Exurban%20Landscapes.pdf?dl=0>: Annals of the AAG