[Iag-list] Call for Participation @RISK - extended to Friday 23 July

Jessica Weir J.Weir at westernsydney.edu.au
Mon Jul 19 03:25:22 UTC 2021

Hello all,
The Call for Participation for @RISK: Knowledge Practices, Environmental Crisis & Environmental Action has been extended to Friday 23 July 2020. (see attached)

We are learning to live with a world that is seemingly perpetually at risk of everything nowadays, where responses are time sensitive, with consequences extending far beyond human domains, and throughout the more-than-human world, nonetheless requiring human action. The recent spate of record-shattering bushfires, floods and droughts, to name just a few examples, have brought into sharp relief how risk needs to keep being re-thought and re-practised, in and amongst climate shifts.

What is at risk? Whose risks matter? What knowledge do we need to effect change? How can we do better together from our diverse positions and situations? What are the personal and professional risks involved?

@RISK is all about the ongoing work of bringing these consequential matters into the foreground.

@RISK provides a platform for researchers, policy makers, practitioners and activists who want to engage with this topic outside of their disciplinary or institutional constraints, are already doing so, and/or, have always done so.
We are currently calling for participants as symposium presenter, panelist, poster creator and/or  podcast interviewee.

Our webpage  https://westernsydney.edu.au/ics/events/@risk  details the four themes of the project, as well as the ways to participate, and the form to submit your application.

Cheers
Jess, and, on behalf of, Josh Wodak (j.wodak at westernsydney.edu.au<mailto:j.wodak at westernsydney.edu.au>)

 --------------------------------
Jessica K Weir (PhD) <https://www.westernsydney.edu.au/ics/people/researchers/dr_jessica_weir> | Senior Research Fellow
Institute for Culture and Society<https://www.westernsydney.edu.au/ics>
westernsydney.edu.au
NAIDOC #HealCountry<https://www.naidoc.org.au/news/2021-naidoc-week-theme-announced-heal-country>

Currently reading this Indigenous scholarship

Latulippe, N and N Klenk, 2020 Making room and moving over: knowledge co-production, Indigenous knowledge sovereignty and the politics of global environmental change decision-making<https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S1877343519300892>, Current Opinion in Environmental Sustainability, 42: 7-14).

Recent seminar video
So you care about Indigenous scholars?<https://www.westernsydney.edu.au/ics/publications/video_and_audio>

Recent Publications
Weir JK, Neale T, Clarke EA. 2021 The recalibration of our relationships with science (and nature) by natural hazard risk mitigation practitioners<https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/10.1177/25148486211019828>. Environment and Planning E: Nature and Space.
Freeman, D, Williamson, B and J Weir 2021 Cultural Burning and Public Sector Practice in the Australian Capital Territory<https://www.tandfonline.com/eprint/JYPTNURKYH97HETVWADI/full?target=10.1080/00049182.2021.1917133>, Australian Geographer.
Smith, W, Neale, T and JK Weir 2021, Persuasion without policies: The work of reviving Indigenous peoples’ fire management in southern Australia<https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0016718521000233?dgcid=coauthor>, Geoforum, 120: 82-92.
So You Care About Indigenous Scholars? 2020 So You Care About Indigenous Scholars? <https://adastracomix.com/> Poster Series, Ad Astra Comix, Canada.
Williamson, B, Weir, J and V Cavanagh, 2020. ‘Aboriginal People Find Strength Despite Perpetual Grief’<https://www.palaver.com/books#/continent-aflame/>, in P Anderson, S Gardner, P James and P Komersaroff (eds), Continent Aflame: Responses to an Australian Catastrophe, Palavar Press: Armadale, pp.122-5.
Weir, JK 2020 Bushfire lessons from cultural burns<https://knowledge.aidr.org.au/resources/ajem-july-2020-bushfire-lessons-from-cultural-burns/>, Australian Journal of Emergency Management, 35(3):11-12.
Harriden, K, Weir, JK and K Cunio 2020, Climate Grief, Expert Evidence and Academic Practice<https://engagementaustralia.org.au/transform-issue-5-september-2020-the-new-normal-for-higher-learning/>, Transform, 5:13-26.
Williamson, B, Markham, F and JK Weir, 2020, Aboriginal peoples and the response to the 2019–2020 bushfires<https://caepr.cass.anu.edu.au/sites/default/files/docs/2020/3/CAEPR_WP_no_134_2020_Williamson_Markham_Weir.pdf>, Working Paper No. 134/2020, Centre for Aboriginal Economic Policy Research, Australian National University, Canberra.
Weir, JK, Sutton, S and G Catt, 2020. ‘Indigenous peoples’ fire management and the theory/practice of disaster justice’<https://www.palgrave.com/gp/book/9789811504655>, in A Lukasiewicz and C Baldwin (eds), Natural Hazards and Disaster Justice: Challenges for Australia and its Neighbours, Palgrave Macmillan: Chicago, pp.299-317.
Weir, JK, Woelfle-Erskine, C, Diver, S, Fuller, S, and M Higgins, 2019. ‘Investigating Best Practice: Doctoral Fieldwork with and without Indigenous Communities in Settler-Colonial Societies’<https://acme-journal.org/index.php/acme/article/view/1751>, ACME: An International Journal for Critical Geographies, 18(6): 1300-20.