[Iag-list] Creative counter mapping and other insurgent methods for sensing the city

Wendy Steele wendy.steele at rmit.edu.au
Mon Aug 2 01:12:46 UTC 2021

RMIT Classification: Trusted

Creative counter mapping and other insurgent methods for sensing the city
Wed, 4 August 2021 4:00 PM – 6:00 PM AEST
Register here - https://www.eventbrite.com.au/e/a-climate-of-change-creative-counter-mapping-methods-for-sensing-place-tickets-162511264567

As a site for public practice and political praxis, cultural mapping is both a method of inquiry and a methodological tool in social art making, urban planning, and community development that makes visible the ways local stories, practices, relationships, physical memories, and rituals constitute places as meaningful locations. Contemporary artists and community activists use creative cartographies as tools for engagement, understanding relationships, and to draw attention to counter-narratives on the politics of land, place and history. Historically, maps have served as tools of colonization, ownership and exclusion, but these new approaches highlight the potentials of creative participatory methods, insurgent research and public-led pedagogies for engaging with the complexity of globalised and more-than-human cities in climate change. In these conversations, we will critically engage with diverse creative and practical projects of artists and scholars focused on public and participatory outcomes.

This event is presented by an interdisciplinary team of artists and researchers at RMIT University and hosted by CAST (contemporary art and social transformation) research group, Critical Urban Governance (CUG) research group, and the Mapping Future Imaginaries (MFI) research network, School of Education. Speakers include RMIT artists and researchers: Vicki Couzens, Marnie Badham and Tammy Hulbert Wong, Troy Innocent, Wendy Steele, Libby Porter and Linda Knight. We will launch Linda Knight’s new book: Linda Knight (2021) Inefficient Mapping: A protocol for attuning to phenomena. California: Punctum Books. (free download) Working from a speculative, more-than-human ontological position, the book presents a new, experimental cartographic practice and non-representational methodological protocol that attunes to the subaltern genealogies of sites and places, proposing a wayfaring practice for traversing the land founded on an ethics of care.

If you have any specific accessibilities needs to attend this event, please don't hesitate to contact us at cast at rmit.edu.au.

I acknowledge and pay my respects to the past, present and future Traditional Custodians and Elders of the Wurundjeri people on whose lands I live, learn, research, work and teach. I recognise that these lands and all urban areas in Australia have never been ceded. I commit to situating my research in relation to Indigenous sovereignty and learning how to live and work together on Country.